Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecilia_md7a

Time to start thinking about MAGTAG 2007!

cecilia_md7a
17 years ago

I've already planted my first batch of seeds under the fluorescent lights in my basement, so my thoughts are turning to the 2007 Mid-Atlantic Tomato Growers Appreciation Gathering. I thought the intial fest went really well last year, and I will be happy to arrange for a pavilion at the same park once we come up with an appropriate mid- to late-August date. Any ideas? suggetions?

Comments (16)

• trudi_d
    17 years ago

We had a great time, we look forward to being there again!

Trudi

• annebert
    17 years ago

Hey, we haven't even settled on a date for the spring swap yet! But who cares?

I suggest the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in August, which would be slightly earlier than last year. It's hard to figure the weather, but many people said their tomatoes were past their prime by the 4th weekend in August. Perhaps they started their tomatoes in February...

• lauriebee
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness a Tomato fest!!! It is enough to make me cry!
    I so miss my beloved zone 7 but the thing I miss the most since moving away is TOMATOES - You can't get a good tomato in Hawaii for love or money.
    Think of all the poor saps out there who can't grow a good tomato and plant an extra dozen - next Aug slap a double portion of bacon on one to make a sinful BLT and suddenly Maryland is paradise.
    LaurieBee

• buddybailey
    17 years ago

I'm new to all this but I attended the potluck and would definitely attend a tomato fest. Where is the pavillion you spoke of?

Thanks!

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    17 years ago

Can someone describe what went on at last years MAGTAG (which I missed?)

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

"Can someone describe what went on at last years MAGTAG (which I missed?)"

An amazing variety of tomatoes as far as the eye could see - for tasting and voting.

Good food, good talk, good weather.

Definitely worth repeating. I took a slice of a few favorites for seed this year.

There was a discrete jar for donations towards cost of renting the pavillion and I hope Cecelia's costs were covered that way. If not, maybe there should be a small cover charge this year? Most folks brought food and drinks to share and there were extremely well cooked hot dogs and some excellent breads for making tomato sandwiches!

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

It was super. Lots of visiting and relaxed conversation. Sharing of ideas and garden tips Fine folks and delicious tomatoes.
    Did anyone get a photo of the fellow who put a whole gigantic tomato between two slices of bread?
    Oh,and who made the tomato pie? Not Pizza but the tomato pie that looked like a cherry pie.
    I don't even like summer but I can hardly wait for this.
    BB

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The pavilion was located at Southwest Area Park in Baltimore County, MD - it's just outside Baltimore city and very close to I-95, Route 1, the BW Parkway (295), and the Baltimore Beltway (695). And yes, Cynthia - thanks to everybody's generosity, Greg F. and I were able to make back the deposit that we paid to the pavilion. We had attendees from as far away as NY, NJ, and WV.

If folks were satisfied with last year's location, I will reserve the same spot as soon as we can agree on a date. Last year's date was the Saturday before Labor Day, but we could move it up a week if folks think that would work better. You never know what kind of a growing season you're gonna have, though!

• lynnt
    17 years ago

I made the cherry-tomato pie. I used both green and ripe fruit, cut in half, with butter, white and brown sugar, orange zest, a bit of mace, and cinnamon for seasoning. I used minute Tapioca for thickener instead of cornstarch. The lattice crust let the fruit show through.

Glad you liked it!

There is a nice river nearby to fish or canoe on, too -- kept my non-tomatoing sweetie happy.

Lynn

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That river is the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River, and if I'm not mistaken, Lynn, didn't your SO say that he canoed to Baltimore's inner harbor and back?

• annebert
    17 years ago

I just planted the first round of tomatoes!

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

Oh dear, so hard to schedule. Don't know what my poor garden will look like this year. Going to Washington State for late May(after spring swap) and not going to return till early July. Must be back for flower shows in Late August. But barring unforeseen events I will be there. Steve in Baltimore County.

• reginac
    17 years ago

I just joined this group and I can't wait for MAGTAG 2007 - I love tomatoes and plant 8 or 9 varieties each year. Is there a list which we can join which will notify us of the MAGTAG?

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

reginac, just stay tuned to this space for more info as it becomes available.

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

We have county fair in Early August. I Don't want to miss that but Tomatoes are definately ready by then. I have started about 20 different types so should,for sure have "Something" to share. I'm trying a lot of the "blacks" and have high hopes.
    Beth B

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry I haven't been on the ball about MAGTAG - I joined Weight Watchers a couple of months ago (lost 15 lbs so far!) and have been kind of preoccupied with that lately. But the little tomato plants growing under lights in my basement are calling to me!

The Bel Air Barbecue Bash is scheduled for August 11, and DH will divorce me if I don't go to it with him this year (which means MAGTAG would be short one grillmeister - and how am I supposed to work BBQ into my diet anyway?). So I am thinking of scheduling MAGTAG for either August 18 or 25. I will start a new thread for voting - I definitely need to get off my a$$ and reserve the pavilion soon!

P.S. For those of you attending the Spring Swap on May 5, I will have some (mostly heirloom) tomato seedlings to give away.

P.P.S. Greg F, for some reason NONE of your black cherry seeds germinated for me!

Sponsored