Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynneinmd

Is it too early to think about a date for the spring swap?

LynneinMD
16 years ago

Well, that about says it all... =)

Lynne

Comments (52)

• madsquopper
    16 years ago

We were assuming it would be either the first or second weekend in May, as usual. Both of those are fine.

Larry

• jane_artist
    16 years ago

Cool! I have a neighbor who is a landscaper and is chronically at a loss as to what to do with the empty pots and flats he buys full of plants (they cannot be returned or recycled). I'm taking all the smaller ones he has now, but he will surely have more in a few months--should I collect them from him and bring them to the swap?

• kimka
    16 years ago

Yes, yes, yes on pots. I will take any and all pots from 4 inches on up. In fact, he doesn't have to wait until May. I'll come get a load anytime he has a bunch he wants recycled.

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

How big is "on up"? Steve in Baltimore County

• jane_artist
    16 years ago

I'll get all the pots from him and tell him to just drop any more he gets on my front step!

• LynneinMD
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jane, I'll take anything 4 inches and down, that you have extras of - I posted this on the pots can be recycled thread, but now see the actual situation...

Anyway, I'm the tag-ee for the local plant sale and we can use as many small pots as we can get.

Lynne in Bowie

• LynneinMD
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, and if he has the tray thingies or the doodads to plant seeds in and then pop them out like popsicles (I'm having a bad vocabulary day, can you tell?), I'd be happy to take those too. =)

• leslies
    16 years ago

First or second weekend in May OK for me. Saturday or Sunday OK, too.

Can we start talking about HAVES and WANTS now (please, please, please)? All right, maybe it IS too early for that.

• riderup
    16 years ago

The first weekend of May, either Saturday or Sunday, would be great. Saturday of the second weekend, too, but that Sunday, May 11, doesn't work for me.

Eric

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

It's traditionally the Saturday of the week-end before Mother's Day. Mother's day is 5/11 this year, so that would be Saturday, May 3rd. If Garden Gramma is willing to host that would be wonderful, but as mentioned above is based on the host & hostess availability. Sundays aren't typically a great day for swaps, so I'd stick with Saturday or attendence may decline. Perhaps with advance notice, those who work on Saturday's can take the day off?

I have plug trays if someone wants them. (Think that's what LynneinMd is asking for :)

• LynneinMD
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cynthia, yes, that's what they're called. They just look like the old tupperware popsicle molds, and I think of the popsicles whenever I see them so can never remember the name. Can you send me an email at lynneinmd at gmail.com and let me know when/where to pick them up?? Thanks!

I don't think it's too early for a haves/wants list, but y'all already know how much patience I have.. =)

Lynne in Bowie

• manure_queen
    16 years ago

If Henrietta is unavailable, I can host on May 10. I do not get back from Osaka until MAy 6
    Mary

• garden4gal
    16 years ago

Hi all -- just a reminder...the Historic Annapolis Foundation usually holds its huge 2 day annual plant sale at Paca Gardens during Mother's Day weekend on both the Saturday and Sunday. That would be the 10th & 11th this year. Of course, we all defer to the host/hostess with much gratitude.

Mary Anne in Bowie

• spanaval
    16 years ago

The crappy weather outside deserves some swap talk. As long as y'all don't hold the swap in April, we're good. We're finally going to take that looong overdue vacation to India, and will be gone most of April. What this means of course is that I'm not going to be doing much by the way of pre-arranged trades. I'll just dig and bring what I can. Assuming there will still be something alive after the neglect they've suffered all last summer and then again in the upcoming spring.

• collectordi
    16 years ago

The big plant sale at Green Spring Gardens is Saturday May 17. So I hope the swap won't be that day.

• rian
    16 years ago

I would like to come in hopes of finding good homes for the seedlings of my wonderful dogwood C.Florida. It is double trunked and more than 2 stories high. When we moved into this house, it was the biggest dogwood I'd ever seen. I've since seen much bigger ones on line though.

Anyway the view from the two large windows of the corner upstairs bedroom is incredible in the spring when it flowers and in the fall when the leaves color. It kills me to have to weed small dogwoods out of my flower beds, knowing what they have the potential to become....

• kimka
    16 years ago

Dogwoods and Virginians are always welcome at the MAG swap. The M stands for Mid-Atlantic, not Maryland. You know, you can always post your dogwood seedlings on the MAG exchange page, and I'm sure people will come and get them.

KimKa (who would ove 4-6 of your dogwood seedlings to help re-establish her woodland edge.)

• leslies
    16 years ago

rian:

I'd love two or three. I have an older one that is slowly getting clobbered by fireblight and I'd like to replace it with one that's not as susceptible. Your parent tree sounds like it must be resistant to just about everything!

I'm in NoVA.

Of course, if you want to bring them to the swap, instead, that's cool, too!

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Hey, Me Too on the dogwoods.

Which reminds me that I need to place an order and change the date for my Pickering delivery. Leslie, you wouldn't know how early bareroots can be planted in our area, would you?

Suja

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

Yes, I would be delighted to host. You guys figure out may be two dates that work for most and may be then I can decide between the two? Sounds like a plan. Bring your bathing suits if it is hot, we now have a swimming hole (not a pool) where you can splash with the goldfish (not the koy, they are in a separate pond. Kids are welcome, we added a tree house to the swingset and the play house. And when it comes time to state what one would like to swap, I have this new pond/bog, if anyone has any bog plants by then let me now now before I buy it all (I'll plant in March in the bog). I would host it just for the tomatoe plants, I made lots of frozen tomatoe sauce and its been delicious. How can I be so lucky. Also, we now have a covered porch, so there will be lots of shade. That's about it.

• rian
    16 years ago

Oh goody, I'll bring all I can find then. If I can't make it to the swap for some reason, I'm glad there will be a chance for local placement.

• busyasabee
    16 years ago

The first Saturday, May 3rd, 2008 works for me

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Garden Granma, Reviewing the responses, it looks like May 3rd or May 10th; with some voicing a preference for the 3rd for traditions sake and/or to avoid conflict with plant sales on the 10th. But either should be fine and no matter what date we pick there will be plant sales on the same day. So let us know which works best for you, as it sounds like some are itching to start the haves & wants lists. Thanks as always for generously sharing your home and gardens!

• alisonmd
    16 years ago

Rian,
    I would also love 2 or 3 dogwood seedlings. I lost one this year and would love to replace it.
    Thanks
    Alison

• collectordi
    16 years ago

Rian, your seedlings are very popular. I'd like one or more also.
    Thanks, Diana

• rian
    16 years ago

I didn't realize there would be so much demand. I hope I haven't jinxed the supply by planning for it ahead of time. I have other plants I can bring too. Will there be separate list then, for what people will be bringing once things start leafing out, and we can see what we actually have as opposed to what we expect?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Henrietta I didn't realize that you'd finished the "swimming hole" already. The last time we spoke it was still in the planning stages. Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to the next swap. I'll try to bring more basil this time. lol I also have loads of nursery pots (all sizes) plug trays and cell packs if anyone needs any.
    Karyn

• LynneinMD
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rian, don't worry about jinxing anything - this is a no-stress group =) There will be a have and a wants list on separate threads to keep it from getting too confusing.

I have a commitment on the 3rd of May so my vote is for the 10th - but if it ends up on the 3rd I think I can make a showing at both events if I time things carefully... =)

I copied the plant sale info from this thread into the plant sale thread..

Suja, have a great trip! How exciting!

Lynne

• annebert
    16 years ago

Yippee! I can do either the 3rd or 10th, though I lean toward the 10th.

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

May 3 is fine with me. If there is an uproar, I'll go with the 10th, but the 3rd sounds great to me.

• annebert
    16 years ago

Henrietta, the only uproar you'll hear is THANK YOU!

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

May 3rd sounds good to me also. Looking forward to it.
    Thank you Henrietta. You are always so gracious.

• leslies
    16 years ago

Suja, you can plant as soon as you can dig. I like bareroot roses to wake up planted and to spend the first two months of their lives in the cold spring mud - cuts down on the need to water.

• doinfin
    16 years ago

We are new to the area and I would love to come... may not have much to swap though. What area of VA will the swap be located? Will more info be posted here?

Thanks!

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

It will be in the Burtonsville area of Virginia, which is actually Maryland. And yes, separate threads will be posted with directions as well as lists of what people 'want' and 'have' to swap. These lists are optional. You can simply show up with what you have and swap with others. And then there's the food list - not optional :) Everyone brings food or drinks or paper plates/cups etc to share.

• oogy4plants
    16 years ago

Come on, Spring! Hi Everyone!

I haven't checked in here for a while so I am delighted to see all the swap planning. May 3 looks good for me so far and I will try to keep it open for the swap. Add me to the list of takers for dogwood seedlings or other natives to repopulate my little piece of woods.

I will also come to pick up batches of extra small pots or plug trays for potting up seedlings if anyone has any for recycling. They are for a good cause since I will be working on a volunteer project to grow host and nectar plants for endangered Maryland butterflies. If anyone around Germantown is interested in working in a greenhouse and learning propagation techniques, we could probably use more volunteers in the spring when all the seedlings sprout. Just drop me an email and I'll give you the contact for the project leader.

Thanks for hosting again, Henrietta!

• foodeefish
    16 years ago

Herietta,

Thanks once again for hosting this year. I may have some bog plants for you, I just have to see what I have that made it through the winter.

Foodeefish

• diana_lynn
    16 years ago

I just found this site and am THRILLED. I've been trading with people on Plantswap.net and have had wonderful experiences there, but most members are not local.

It sounds as if you are a tight-knit group. Could I join you on May 3? If it's OK for me to come, I'll need to know where it is and what time. I'd bring plants, of course, but I love to cook as much as I love to garden, so I'd bring food as well. (Yes, that is a bribe!)

Thanks,

Diana

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

Of course you are welcome!!! There is a core of regulars, but newbies are always welcome so long as they bring something tasty and preferably chocolate. ;-)

Jen

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

Have, Want, and Food lists are posted in Exchange area. I just couldn't wait any longer. :-)

Jen

• leslies
    16 years ago

Diana:

Directions to Gardengramma's will be posted closer to the swap date, if they're not posted already. There are also some "rules" which should also be posted over on the exchange page. If they make you laugh, then you can be sure you'll have a good time at the swap!

• cecilia_md7a
    16 years ago

I vote for May 3rd - the 10th is just a little too close to my wedding anniversary (unless DH wants to go out the weekend afterward.

• riderup
    16 years ago

May 3 sounds great, and I'll be there. Henrietta, thanks for hosting.
    Eric

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I haven't checked the kids meet schedule but hopefully if there is a meet scheduled that weekend it will be local. oogy4plants I can bring loads of cell packs, pots and plug trays. Let me know how many you can use. If I can't make it to the swap I should be able to drop them at Henrietta's prior to the swap or you can pick them up from me. I live about 5 minutes away from Henrietta.
    Karyn

• janiebird
    16 years ago

Wooohoooo! I think I was brought by a friend to your place two fall swaps ago. That was fabulous fun! I gave away a bunch of white irises and brought home some very wonderful goodies. Thank you for hosting this gardengrandma! So generous! Your gardens are fabulous!

• kaffeina
    16 years ago

I can do either the 3rd or 10th.

Kathleen

• giverny
    16 years ago

Henrietta - Thanks so much for hosting this again. Can't wait to see your beautiful gardens and all the changes you've made this past year. Also looking forward to seeing everyone, trading plants and eating good food!! Mea

• cecilia_md7a
    16 years ago

So do we have a final date for the swap? I can't seem to find it on the exchange pages.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

The swap is scheduled for Saturday, May 3rd at Gardengranma's in Burtonsville.color>

(See Gardengranma's response on February 19th.) Voting is closed.

• dawnstorm
    15 years ago

KY Derby day it is then!

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm