Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol23_gw

Bulbs and herbaceous flowering now

carol23_gw
19 years ago

I don't know about others, but I am DESPERATE for any signs of life in the garden. Anyone else collecting snowdrops or other winter/early spring flowering bulbs?

These are flowering now, though a bit frosty

{{gwi:30733}}
{{gwi:1045917}}
{{gwi:1045918}}
{{gwi:1045919}}
{{gwi:1045920}}
{{gwi:30731}}

Carol

Comments (12)

• gardenpaws_VA
    19 years ago

NICE pictures! What sort of camera are you using?
    Yes, I have winterbloomers too, chosen and sited for their "mental health benefits" (as opposed to the total garden picture). My snowdrops (north side) just started, but I had snow crocus (south side) 2 weeks ago and they've now finished.

Robin

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

gardenpaws, I use a Nikon Coolpix 950. It's a few years old.
    I wish I could grow Crocus but the chipmunks dig them all up, even the tommies.

• madsquopper
    19 years ago

No pictures yet, but our first crocus and snowdrops opened last weekend. The hellebores have been open for quite a while but are getting badly wind burned this winter (as is everything else).

Larry

• vladpup
    19 years ago

G'Day!
    - Jugs full of daffodils on the kitchen table here already! Also, as it's time to prune the fruit trees, so the branches dan't get too crowded this summer, i've forced a few vases full of pink and white blossoms, mostly plum and cherry flowers.

- Grape hyacinth leaves are coming up, a promise of later colour.

- Snowdrops are on my Want List. Lovely wee things! i put in half a thousand crocus last year, which covered perhaps a quarter or a third of the total amount of crucus i'd like. Still need a couple thousand more daffodils.

- So early in the year, it hardly matters what colour a bloom is, it is welcome. Besides, most will be gone before the main spring colours come forht in any bed, so these early guys don't have to co-ordinate.

- Just got my first three hellaborus in a postal trade this winter; they're still in pots indoors (didn't know if they could take giong from S. Cal. to MD winter), so they woun't bloom 'till next year. i am so looking forward to that! WOnder what colour they will turn out to be.

- Happy gardening,
    -vlad

• lynnt
    19 years ago

Vlad, I can spare you some snowdrops, I have three nice colonies. Remind me, eh?

LynnT

• Melissa_InTheWoods
    19 years ago

My Spring Beauty and Hepatica are up with buds... can't wait to see them bloom.

• vladpup
    19 years ago

G'Day!
    - i recognize the snowdrops and helleborus, but what're the charming yellow flowers in the pictures at the top?

- More daffies are blooming here! So far, just the buttery-yellow native nars, but the fancies can't be long to follow! Amarylis and crocus leaves are up too.

- This week i'm forcing blooms indoors from fruit tree branch prunings, plum, peach, apricot, and nectarine.

- Happy gardening,
    -vlad

• madsquopper
    19 years ago

Here's some crocus. I took the pictures with my Pentax Optio s4 mini digital camera. I'll admit to *very* minor photo editing; just sharpened the photos a tiny bit but no other correction.

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocus pictures

• slubberdegulion
    19 years ago

Very pretty! My winter aconite started blooming a few days ago and I noticed blooms on my sweet violets yesterday. A few more snowdrops have opened up here, but I think most of mine have come and gone. The crocuses (there's GOT to be a better word..crocusi? ugh...'croci' is also correct, I could never say THAT with a straight face) in back (south) have done well, but the ones in front (north) are just beginning to poke up. I'm especially fond of the little irises, some reticulata I bought at Lowes (of all places) several years ago have spread a little. The iris bulbs I planted last fall are popping up all over, but hardly any daffodils yet.

Jugs full of daffodils, Vlad? I'm jealous! Hellebores I'm still trying without much luck. I thought my finger tips would bleed last year from poking in grape hyacinths, then found out my mother had thrown a bunch of "those weeds" away! Think of the money I could have saved...maybe several dollars worth. :)

I need to invest in a camera...great shots Carol23!!

• vladpup
    19 years ago

G'Day!
    - Yup. Jugs full. Half are "box-store cheapies" i get each fall when its end-of-season sale time. Even when the ground is frozen, you can plant daffies in pre-dug holes and fill 'em up with loose soil. The flowers don't know they were lost-label mystery daffies!

- The link below has a couple pages from last year, mostly in spring before i got so busy with the gardening i forgot to take pictures. It includes several of daffydils.

- i'm still hoping to find hellebores.

- So the plural of crocus isn't crow-kisses?

- Happy gardening,
    -vlad

Here is a link that might be useful: last year's garden

• slubberdegulion
    19 years ago

Heh, heh, "pre-drilled holes" there is the problem! Last year, after Brent & Becky's had their after Thanksgiving sale, I "discovered" that the front of my house faces north! When did that happen? I ended up screaming and chopping madly with a shovel until I had chipped a few squares of unprepared clay soil up, then digging holes in the unfrozen ground beneath with chapped numb hands (it took me some time to remember where I had left the trowels). But, the crocus (pl) and daffodils and even a easter lily are coming up just fine, despite me.

My favorite daffodils in general are nodding ones, but my absolute favorites (Rip Van Winkle) won't show here for some time yet. Loved the pics Vlad! (Especially the feller in front of the prickly pear...too cute!)

• reginak
    19 years ago

Oh Vlad, what a gorgeous place you have there! I'm envious!