Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Maryland Nurseries?

rootdiggernc
17 years ago

I'm going to be visiting in Baltimore, coming up I-95 (from I-85 in NC) and will be looking for any interesting nurseries or gardens along the way or near to Baltimore. I understand there won't be a lot to look at right now, but I should be making mutiple trips. My son just moved up that way and I love to visit nurseries and gardens when I travel. Thanks for any suggestions!

D

Comments (10)

• christy2828
    17 years ago

Just off of 95 near Laurel there are two nurseries that I enjoy. At the Laurel exit, not sure of the exit number, take 198 West. On the right just a few miles you'll see Fehr nursery. Also, keep going down 198. You'll see Columbia Pike and at the next light you'll see Old Columbia Pike. Take a right there, and on the left hand side you'll see Meadows Farms. If you stop, let me know what's good, haven't been there in the last few months. Drive carefully :) Christy

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Meadow's Farm has some wonderful plants and they have a great selection of hostas. Their prices are reasonable too!
    Karyn

• drscottr
    17 years ago

I would visit Valley View Farms in Baltimore. They have been around for at least 40 years. The prices are fairly high but they have everything you can imagine at a huge facility. Trees, plants, water garden plants and supplies, fish for ponds, 100's of varieties of vegetable seedlings in the spring, etc. The best part is their lead folks have been there for 10 -25 years each. The owner is around and he's been there 40 years. They can actually answer questions knowlegeably.

The store is on York Road not far from route 95 exit onto 495. I would take the 495 exit on the north side of the baltimore beltway and head towards Towson. Then get off at york road and go several miles north.

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Well, since you have to take 495 to get to Bawlmer, I'd say that the Merrifield location of Merrifield Garden Center is right off the Gallows Rd. exit and well worth the stop. It's the smaller of its two locations, but the Fairfax location would take you about 10 miles out of your way. If you do decide to go to the Fairfax location, Betty's Azalea Ranch is right next door, and also worth a visit.

Brookside Gardens is lovely and not that far out of your way, IIRC. If your son's cool with it, maybe you can visit Lilypons (45 miles from Baltimore) on one of your visits.

Suja

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

I BELIEVE IF YOU GET ON 495 BELTWAY YOU ARE LOST. FOR VALLEY VIEW FARMS YOU WANT TO BE ON 695. STEVE IN BALTIMORE COUNTY

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Brookside Gardens is wonderful and my absolute favorite place for seed snatching : ) If you go anytime June (maybe May) through Sept you'll want to take a look at the "Flights of Fancy" butterfly exhibit in the conservatory.
    Karyn

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Making my list and will keep it in my car.

• puffkit
    17 years ago

rootdigger...where in baltimore are you going? there are lots of good smaller nurseries in the area.......

• lynnt
    17 years ago

Not much to see there right now, but Sans Souci Iris Gardens in Monkton (off Rt 40? south of Balto) is well worth a trip when the weather warms. I have known Bruce for years, and he sells wonderful Japanese irises.

Carol Warner also has a commercial iris garden up that way, but I'm not sure exactly where.

Also, if you'll be in the area for Memorial Day Weekend, Nick Weber has an annual open house then at his Heritage Rosarium in Brookville (near Olney, north of DC but south of Rt 70) -- off N Hampshire Ave near Rt 108 if I remember right. Five acres of wonderful own-root roses, grown as they ought to be, and own-root bands for sale for cheap.

DO NOT bother going out of your way to the home base of Carroll Gardens, the mail-order place -- what a disorderly mess, and the prices are not worth it! Think tangled thickets of good-size trees still wearing their original quart pots like Victorian choker necklaces...

LynnT

Here is a link that might be useful: Sans Souci Iris Gdns

• watergal
    17 years ago

The Rawlings Conservatory (used to be the Baltimore Conservatory) downtown is a nice diversion. Lovely restored old glass houses any time of year, and nice display gardens outside. Not huge, but a nice diversion.

Behnke's Nursery on Rt. 1 in Beltsville is another fabulous big nursery to visit - usually a great selection of indoor foliage in the winter. I also second Valley View and Lilypons!! I usually make a pilgrimage to all of these at least once a year.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz