Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
land_in_berg

nearly blank canvas - looking for advice

land_in_berg
17 years ago

Hello all. First post here! Sorry it's a little long.

My wife and I moved to Landenberg, PA last summer from SoCal. We have a spot on just under 4 acres. It's sloping terrain with about 1 acre wooded, 1 acre shaded by big maples, and the rest open.

The place looks like it was landscaped once many, many years ago but is in disrepair now. There are remnants of dry laid stone retaining walls and garden beds around the property. However, the last owners must have hated plants because they filled all the stone planters and beds with gravel!

I spent all of last fall clearing out the gravel, digging up weeds and invasive plants, and amending the soil. I've got about 500 sqft of amended beds where I planted a bunch of bulbs and mail order perennials I got in a hurry last fall.

So now I have to start thinking about the rest of the yard. This is a multi-year project, I know. But my wife really wants to see some results this summer!

So, I'd love some suggestions on what can I plant to get things started that will grow nicely this year and provide a backbone to the future garden.

What I have:

>bed of bearded irises

>bed of bulbs mixed with perennials like monarda, heuchera, catmint, sage, and salvia

>a few scattered azaleas

>some sad looking rhododendrons

>a beautiful 40-ft holly, several 80-ft spruce trees lining one side, a grove of big native trees (black walnut, oak, maple, etc.), and a field shaded by giant maples.

>tons and tons of hostas that filled in everywhere

>three way overgrown burning bush shrubs

>about an acre of lawn I could do without

>tons and tons of weeds and invasive vines and buckthorn

>lots of deer - but the fence is nearly done

I'd love to plant an area of roses. I'd love to start planting around the house with some evergreen shrubs. It would be fun to plant veggies and a cutting garden. But really I would appreciate some suggestions on fast-growing perennials that I can plant to start building the framework of this garden.

Sorry for such a long post, and thanks to anyone with suggestions.

Comments (5)

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

Maybe I have spent too much time over on the Landscape Design forum but I would first point out that you should not use perennials to provide the framework of your garden. Look to items like trees, shrubs, paths, patios, pergolas, fences, and even patches of grass to provide the framework and look to perennials, annuals and bulbs as the decorations.

I live on a 1/4 acre suburban plot. I struggle enough with coming up with an overall plan that I am sure I would go insane if I had 4 acres. It is always a good idea to make a list of things that you would want in your landscape. You mentioned a vegetable garden and a cutting garden but what about a shed, a compost area, a field to play soccer with the kids a covered patio, a greenhouse, an apple orchard, a horseshoe pit, and the like. Think about how you might be able to fit these things into your garden.

If you are looking for more immediate projects to tackle this spring, it seems to make sense to work on areas close to the house. Maybe near the front entrance, or around the deck or the view out the kitchen window.

I will admit that one of the best things I have done for my garden is to start growing perennials from seed. Planting in groups of 3's, 5's or more is pretty tough at $8 per plant but that same $8, some effort and time can yield 40 seed grown plants. Plant them in an out of the way "nursery bed" and then move them into place when you create new planting areas or trade them with other gardeners to get more variety.

Good luck!

- Brent

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Take it from someone who has done it all wrong and is now trying to retrofit things. Brent is spot on. You want to go with things that take longer to get established, and then move on to perennials and annuals. Develop a general idea of what you want as an overall design, and then take things slow, plan well, and then execute. It's a lot less work than just planting stuff, then realizing that you have to do it all over again.

For inspiration, you might want to pop in on David's thread on the Perennials forum. He has a great sense of design, good eye, and the results are nothing short of breathtaking.

Suja

• land_in_berg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, this is good advice. I guess I need to focus on the big picture first. It's just a bit overwhelming. I'm going to go read a bunch of the landscape design posts. I had not found that board yet.

Let me rephrase my overly broad initial question then.

What varieties of foundation plants (shrubs, small trees) have you all had luck with in this area? I really don't want anything that will grow over 20' since I already have so many big trees. I would greatly prefer plant types with good hardiness and disease resistance. I don't want to get in to spraying too much with pesticides like I've seen people doing with their fruit trees around here.

• annebert
    17 years ago

1. Check out backyard fruitgrowers in Lancaster County if you want to learn about fruit. You can grow fruit organically or with minimal chemical sprays, and they can teach you how.

2. Check out the spring swap. Big leaf hydrangeas will do well where your azaleas and rhodies are (and shrubs don't have to be "foundation"). Some people have offsets of those. I know I'll have Calycanthus florida, a native shrub that's fragrant, pretty, and good for wildlife.
    You can dig up your way too many hostas and give them to a good home.
    You can get large numbers of 'filler" plants that you might not keep forever, like run of the mill daylilies (aka ditch lilies) and annuals - to brighten things up this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: BYFG

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

Gosh, nothing over 20'?

How 'bout some Japanese Maples? Crape Myrtles look fantastic and offer amazing long-term color. Plus, they establish easily with 2-3' a years' growth, blooming some end of June -> end of September.

What you can do fast are things you'll probably want to move. I did the same thing Suja did, but I'm not shy about digging something up and giving it away. I've moved trees a couple years after I planted them, and to date, (knock on wood, we'll see this spring) all of them are reestablished.

'Compacta' nandinas, some of the GORGEOUS new lemon yellow and bright green trees such as larches, the 'Golden Dawn' Redwoods, some of the cyprus, etc.

I'd dig out those old beds and see where the old stone was laid. Organizing this into outdoor "rooms" can be immediately gratifying.

Annuals, such as coleus, can supply immediate color. Oh - I've always babied these, keeping them in partial shade. Last year was a hard year for me and I just stuck them into the ground in what turned out to be HORRIBLE, DRY, HEAT and FULL SUN, where they grew into huge, colorful shrubs. Some were as tall as 3' in huge, flashy colors.

I have also learned from experience never to buy a color if you haven't seen it with your own beady eyes. Crape Myrtles, Roses, etc., are always different than someone ele's eyes.

I'd also immediately invest in the cone flowers mentioned in a thread below. They're instant color, excellent survival rates, too.

If you can get down this way, our Spring Swap will send you home with so many plants you'll wish you'd brought a trailer. I wouldn't have the gardens I do if it weren't for these guys and the swaps!

Good luck and welcome. :)

Christine