Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecilia_md7a

Reviving MAGTAG Tomato festival?

cecilia_md7a
10 years ago

Is there any interest in reviving the MAGTAG (Mid-Atlantic Gardeners Tomato Appreciation Gathering) this year? A few of us have been tossing around the idea. We have a possible new venue (with the option of air conditioning!). But we need more people growing and providing tomatoes for our tasting and fewer people simply eating them. Even if you just grow one plant, please consider bringing some fruits to the tasting. Comments?

Comments (9)

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Even if you live in an apartment and can't grow tomatoes, you could bring in any interesting ones from your local farmers' market or even some place like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. If they're not named varieties, we can just list them as "Whole Foods Yellow Beefsteak" or something like that. We NEED 'maters!

• gardnwatch
    10 years ago

I'd like to participate this year. I'll have a garden of course and will be growing several different types of tomatoes. Keep me on the list for updates and news.
    Bonnie gardnwatch

• scarzi
    10 years ago

Please keep me posted. I am in Baltimore as well.
    Mark - Who is trying to narrow down the tomato grow out list down below 100 varieties.

• annebert
    10 years ago

Yes of course I'm interested. Keep us posted.

• manure_queen
    10 years ago

Hello Cecelia, I am interested as well. MAry

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I would love to participate! I am in Baltimore County. I also know several of my neighbors would be happy to come. Thank you for getting the ball rolling!

• annebert
    10 years ago

My tomato plants are 3" tall! I'm on track.

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good news! We have a date set aside - Saturday, August 16 - and a nice new location in Catonsville, MD. with an air-conditioned sunroom if it gets too hot! We'll need a little more "audience participation" this time around - tables and/or gazebos, chairs, etc. More details to follow ...

• melissaferrallike
    10 years ago

I'm very interested as well and would love to meet some local gardeners. I have Sasha Altai, Grushovka, Ranger hybrid, Principe Borghese, Mortgage Lifter reds, Beefsteaks, Amish Pastes, San Marzanos and Jersey Devils started along with a few others that I can't remember at the moment. (I just had a Spinal Steroidal Epidural in my neck earlier today and was prescribed Percocet for the pain so I'm a bit loopy right now. ;P ) My starts are about 3-4" tall as of today and I'm going to be transplanting them tomorrow into larger pots providing I can stand up straight for more than a few minutes.

Please keep me in the know for updates for this MAGTAG festival. I'd love to meet other gardeners in the area and exchange ideas for growing tomatoes in our area. I'm a DC native and have been growing tomatoes for years but as an eternal student, I'd love to have the opportunity to learn new ideas/ techniques from other local gardeners.

Sponsored