Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrismd_gw

I'm ready for the Spring Swap!

chrismd
14 years ago

Enough snow already - can we start talking about the spring swap?

Comments (34)

• alfie_md6
    14 years ago

Oh! How about that? There I was, just coming over here to ask that very same question!

So, how about the spring swap?

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Sorry everyone I'm going to be in Spokane Washington. I truly will miss your dear faces. Steve S.

• avoirgold
    14 years ago

Count me in. We usually have it the first Saturday in May at GardenGramma's house in Burtonsville. Does that work for you Henrietta? I don't want to volunteer you for anything. Just excited. At least now, I can stop sitting on my hands to keep from posting this myself! :-)

Jen

• gardengranma
    14 years ago

Gardengranma here. We can do it at my house/garden again - but timing needs to fit into my schedule. When was everyone planning to have it?

• madsquopper
    14 years ago

We'll fit into your schedule. Can you give us the dates that will work for you?

Larry

• kimka
    14 years ago

Traditionally we have been the first Saturday in May. Is that going to be too early this year?

KimKa

• collectordi
    14 years ago

I have a commitment on Sat. May 8 and the Greenspring sale is May 15 but I could come most any other time.

• janetm_md
    14 years ago

Definitely looking forward to it and will clear my schedule to make sure I can attend.

• avoirgold
    14 years ago

Gardengranma,

How does May 1 or May 8 work for you? Is one better than the other?

Jen

• leslies
    14 years ago

Any day that works for gardengramma works for me!

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    14 years ago

Well, I'm not *ready* since I haven't started anything yet but my mind and emotions sure want to see spring! Here it is March 6 and we still have snow drifts and lots of snow cover up in Carroll!

• chrismd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok - I'm more ready - some kind Freecycler gave me a big box of plastic plates, cups and silverware for our potluck.

Planning to sow seeds tomorrow.

• shadysite
    14 years ago

I want to do this, but how does it work? Just pot some plants and bring them? Ask in advance? Just in case I'm looking for native shade plants for a very shaded slope...plants that gulp water will be even more appreciated, especially if they have a deep root structure. Also want berries of many kinds since I've tried blueberries three times without success despite acidic soil -- both partial shade and sun.

WHEN will it be? What are you looking for? hoping to find?

Lisa

• kimka
    14 years ago

MAG swaps are very informal and very giving, Once we select a location and date (which if you read this string you'll understand), the swap grand pooba posts a haves, wants, and food list on the exchange page. People who are interested in doing prearranged trades, post what they have and what they are looking for on those pages. People exchange direct emails to arrange a trade (see last year's have/wants lists on the exchange page from last year)

MAG swaps have not generally depended on one-to-one me-and-you swapping. We sort of figure that all the swaps even out in the end. So even if you don't have anything I want, I give you some of what I have that you want, somebody else does the same with me. If your garden is too young--well, later on you will have plants to give away.

People label prearranged swaps with the tradee's name. Non-arranged plants are pretty much offered as "for the taking." People put their stuff out by their cars (cars usually have a sign with the person's gardenweb name) and then everyone roams, collects plants, gossips and has a great time.

Then we eat, usually like kings and queens in a potluck.

New gardeners who don't have plants to swap just bring brownies or other great food and take home plants. Some years, there were some problems with plantless people arriving early, swooping down on every plant they can carry including many a prearranged trade plant (ignoring the "if it has a name on the label or bag, it is spoken for"). So we do expect newbies to be polite about wholesale grabbing

There is a basic after potluck lunch rule: Then if you touch a plant, you have to take it; if you ask a question about it, you have to take two. And if you leave your car unlocked, you may find someone has put Autumn Joy sedum plants in it.

Plants that you bring can be fresh dug and put in plastic bags, potted up in advance, wrapped in newspaper bare root--anyway that a gardener wants to bring them. We do ask that you include a label of some kind with the plant name. One that can be put out when it is planted is nice, even if it is just written on a plastic knife or spoon.

Bring just about anything garden related: seeds, seedlings, divisions, plants, trees, pots, buckets, magazines, tools. Just take home what ever doesn't find a home and make sure it isn't some one's stuff before you make off with it.
    Have I missed any of the basic "house rules?"

Oh yes, Gardengramma is our traditonal host for the Spring swap in Burtonsville, MD and the swap is usually in May. The Fall swap, which is smaller, moves around.

• shadysite
    14 years ago

Thanks, kimka, that explains a lot. Do people bring vegetable/herbs as well as flowers/shrubs?

Is liriope treated like Autumn Sedum?

Can extra seeds go too?

Thanks, Lisa

• annebert
    14 years ago

Well May 1 conflicts with the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival, which will fuel my new passion, so I hope Henrietta prefers the 8th. But I can come either day. We always toss around the idea of trying a Sunday, and May 9 is Mother's Day, so that's out.

Lisa, vegetables, herbs, old gardening magazines and books, used pots, unwanted hoses, tools, etc are all welcome.

• leslies
    14 years ago

Liriope is, indeed, like 'Autumn Joy'. Beware. ;-)

• chrismd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shadysite - fabulous surprises show up at the Spring swap. Also common things that you will never have to waste money again buying from Home Depot. So you can use that money to buy more fabulous things. It's really a win-win if you can be open to the possibilities.

Here is a link that might be useful: What is a Swap Meet and How Does it Work?

• gardengranma
    14 years ago

I can do the 2nd Saturday or Sunday in May, but not the first one. How does everyone feel about that? You know how much I love when yo all come. Yes, it is a wonderful event, and the people make it. Even DH likes it, and he doesn't garden.

• tvalenti
    14 years ago

The second Saturday sounds great. Looking forward to the swap!

• kimka
    14 years ago

Second Saturday in May it is then. Hurray! What could be more wonderful: a week of warm sunny weather, sprouts in my wintersowing containers, and a reason to get out there and devide the monk's hood.

Can some one post the haves, wants and food lists on the exchange page?

• gardengranma
    14 years ago

Who is willing to post on the exchange and explain to Nebies how this works and organize food - no more than before? My job is to get the house and parking organized so you like it as all the years before, please. I don't mind doing the clean-up and contribute extras for whatever is missing. This year I will also have extra tomatoes plus whatever is on my trade list-I have six+ varieties of large tomatoes. We will have the grill ready, coffee for weary husbands/wives, the Washington Post in the living room, enough toilet paper, swing and play/tree housesfor the kids. What I love most is that we never overorganize and it always works out great, right? So we need basic instructions and directions, have and want lists on the exchange, who brings what food, etc. Who would like to organize/post that. Then everybody comes and has a fun time - one large party with stuff to exchange, or not.

• avoirgold
    14 years ago

Yippee!!! We have a date! I'll be there.

I will take care of posting the haves, wants, and food lists in the exchanges area. Please be patient though, I may need a couple of days to get them up. I will put up the standard posts unless someone wished to add something.

Jen

• janetm_md
    14 years ago

Whooo hooo. Most often the Spring swap and the Wilmington (DE) Garden day are on the same day and I have to choose. So glad they are different weekends this year so I can do both!

• busyasabee
    14 years ago

Yeah, count me in for Saturday, May 8th, 2010!
    Thank you Henrietta for hosting us again!
    The nice weather has got me energized. Went to my local Costco and bought the huge bags of soil. I've started getting my plastic containers out to start my wintersowing, will hopefully have some seedlings to share by time of MagSwap.

Jette

• avoirgold
    14 years ago

Lists are posted on the Exchange part of the forum.

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Exchanges

• pippi21
    14 years ago

Sounds like fun to me! I will read over some of the things needed and volunteer. I have heard so much about this one and I don't want to miss it.

• pippi21
    14 years ago

What annual plant grows quick enough that I can bring to the swap with me? Maybe I'll be able to pot up some of the ones that I've WS this winter.

• ryanzone7
    14 years ago

if I can make it fit my schedule, should I bring a truckload of stuff?
    IALBTC

• alfie_md6
    14 years ago

if I can make it fit my schedule, should I bring a truckload of stuff?

Yes, please.*

*Meaning: yes, of course, any other answer would be ridiculous, the idea! -- please. :-)

I will be there.

• kimka
    14 years ago

Professor, just let us know if the stuff is coming and many of us will bring containers and bags.

For our newbies, Professor Dirt makes the best compost you've ever seen. He is generous enough to bring a pick up truck full of it to our swaps when he can.

I'm already saving kitty buckets to fill.

• chrismd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Secret for hauling "stuff" is the big blue Ikea bags.

• garden_tenderfoot
    14 years ago

I am looking forward to the Spring Swap!
    I am a new gardener, last year was my first year at the swap. I met some wonderful, generous folks and collected a few nice plants to start my garden.
    I am still new at gardening and my garden is still learning to grow, so I don't have any plants to share, but maybe seeds.
    So, I will be bringing food!

I am trying out winter sowing for the first time, too.

Kay

• gardengranma
    14 years ago

The second Saturday in May it is. May 8. Will be ready - someone can put up direction, they haven;t changed. It is rain or shine - no rain date.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner