Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant Ears & Caladium

Posted by gardeningwithlcgrace Delaware (freytamra@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 13:25

I'm wondering when the right time is to plant the bulbs that I just purchased... and would you dig them up each year? These were strictly more of a houseplant thing or grown in a pot back in PA... but now that we've moved, I can't wait to try these "new to me" bulbs!

Any advice on how they hold up in windy conditions? Should they be more sheltered? ~~pretty crazy winds here. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant Ears & Caladium

Elephant ears and caladium need to be lifted each fall; with rare exception, they will not survive the winter outside.

Caladiums in particular like warm soil temperatures. The best way to get maxiumum growth with them is to pot them them up in March and grow them on inside until late May or June. This way the colorful foliage will be growing already when the soil is warm enough outside.

Some caladiums will burn if you plant them in the sun; others like the sun (kind of like coleus).

Elephant ears are a little more forgiving and can grow in mostly shade to full sun, especially if they have lots of moisture in full sun.

o

Thx so much! I found a huge post on EE's here on another thread.... I had no idea there were different varieties and their preferences. I'll have to grab some pots and potting soil and have fun next weekend! Thanks so much!

o

We have kept both Black Magic and Colocasia escalanta bulbs growing inside in a sunny window this year in Chevy Chase and we have other bulbs stored for replanting in late spring. I have occasionally discovered Colocosia escalate growing in our sandy yard in Severna Park when I haven't dug quite everything up, but resurgence is definitely erratic and depends on many things. Too much water, too long a freeze, etc.

o

What is the root spread for these? Are they only very fine roots? or more substantial? Waiting for Spring is sooo difficult!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here