Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhuhoya

Help with Picking a Tree or Shrub

jhuhoya
18 years ago

A friend of mine just lost twin baby girls that she was carrying (8 months pregnant). It is tragic. She wants to plant something in her garden that will flower but will also be transplantable if they ever move from their current house, which they probably will. They live in Delaware. Does anyone have any ideas? The babies would have been born in March and they are very Italian, so anything that might have meaning in that regard would be nice. Please let me know. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

That is truly sad - especially so close to term. She is in my thoughts.

As for a plant, I'd suggest either a perennial (preferably one that is hardy at least in zones 4-8 to cover possible moves), or a shrub ditto. Look for something with shallow roots for ease in digging, and something that is known for toughness. One thing that turned up in my search is Winter Jasmine (J. nudiflorum), which comes from China but apparently was favored in Italy. It wouldn't quite make my hardiness cut, however. If she wants a March blooming perennial, she could look to some of the early hellebores - there's a pretty good range of pink ones out there (again, not in the coldest zones). If she's not expecting to move out of the Mid-Atlantic, the choices are much broader, of course, since the two coldest zones can be ignored.

Peonies bloom later, but are almost forever, the single ones are tolerant of the warmer zones, they're gorgeous, and while they don't really LIKE to be moved, they won't die if you do so.

If your friend is Catholic, she might want to look to plants that have an association with either St. Joseph (very Italian) or Mary the mother of Jesus, since both St. Joseph's day and the Annunciation fall during March. There are big emotional issues there, and I can't begin to tell you whether the link would be positive or negative for your friend.

Hopefully others will have suggestions also, but I'll be glad to answer an email if you want, and if there is more info available to focus the possibilities.

Robin

• ewepoor
    18 years ago

I would go for one of the yak rhododendron hybrids....such as Mist Maiden. They are readily available on line or in nurseries. It grows slowly and in general is low growing and lovely. It would remain quite transplantable for a long time....the bottom of the leaves are fuzzy soft....and on this I would suggest anything with a soft fuzzy leaf as a good baby memorial item.

• johnfromperrycopa
    18 years ago

Rather than a permanent shrub/tree (depending on the time they may be there), I would select a weeping tree (e.g. weeping Red Bud 'Covey', weeping cherry 'snow fountain', or a low, lace leaf Japanese maple coupled with a statue that could be taken with them as a memorial to the girls. I did a quick search in www.google.com and searched on 'saint statues children' and found several sites that offered statues of various forms including children as angels, children gardening, children reading as well as the various saints of the garden. I would take the statuary with me, but leave the trees, since it might be risky and time consuming moving them. The statues are more permanent and could be coupled with a newly planted shrub/tree at the new house upon moving. Perhaps, even a memorial garden with a bench could be designed, planted and moved as well.

• aohara
    18 years ago

I lost one of my twins last summer very close to term. I am planting bulbs to memorialize my daughter Eliza. I figure that I can add more every year and put pockets of them around to see and think of her. I didn't want a tree or shrub because I can't stand the thought of something dying in her name. Also, your friend may not be able to take care of a newly planted anything for a while. The grief comes in waves (I am only 7 months from my loss), I wasn't able to take care of all the plants we got when my loss was discovered and it was hard to watch them all wither. The greatest gift you can give her is to mention her babies by name and not avoid talking about them.

Sponsored