Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

Need an idea of what to plant there

ms_minnamouse
15 years ago

I have a spot at the end of my long driveway that's in part sun. Sometimes it can get full sun, but I think it's almost always part sun. Since it's so far away from the house, I don't feel like having to water what ever I plant there.

I've like for it to be evergreen and be everblooming. If it had interesting features in winter and fall too, it would be nice. I don't want to have to do much, if any deadheading or anything like that.

I think the soil might be acidic, but I'm not too sure. There's some conifers down there but also hardwood.

So, does anyone have any idea of what to plant? I don't want invasives. Natives would be awesome but I'm not stuck on them. It can be different plants. I'm just looking for some suggestions. No trees, just lowish shrubs and plants.

Would daphne fit what I'm looking for? Prairie smoke?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• nycefarm_gw
    15 years ago

Sedum? It's tough and there is some winter interest. I dug up a clump and threw it by the corner of the house mid summer and it is still alive.

• bubba62
    15 years ago

Daphne odora might be a good choice if the area has good drainage- it's a small shrub which can handle part shade and acidic soil, and mine are in full bloom right now. The scent is incredible, and I'm not someone who really cares a lot about fragrance in flowers. Its only drawback is its susceptibility to phytopthera and other diseases; sometimes they'll just croak for no reason after a few years, but they're great while you have them.

Other good choices might be Pieris or Kalmia, both of which are evergreen and can handle those conditions. There are compact varieties of both which have been developed, as well. Some of the lower growing camellias might work, too- "Shi Shi Gashira" comes to mind as a possibility; it blooms here between Thanksgiving and New Year's. There's a prostrate Gardenia (radicans?) which would bloom in June for you at the front of such a bed, and they seem to be fairly hardy here, though a bit more risky than some of the larger varieties. A combination of all of these would give you bloom and evergreen foliage all year.

• ms_minnamouse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a couple of sedums near my house and the deer get them every single time, right before they flower. I have no idea what the flowers even look like and I've had them for years! I might try some with cages down there. But don't they need a lot of sun?

I don't think Gardenia is hardy in 7a. But the other ideas are great!

• avoirgold
    15 years ago

It's hard to think of anything that will have a full 12 months of interest. Usually people will combine things. A nice ever-"green" shrub with bulbs and flowers around/in front of it. Something like daffodils under hostas with a nice hardy perennial such as shasta daisy or gaillardia could work. If you want deer-proof too, maybe a nice Japanese rock garden would be best. ;-) hehe. Italian Arum might be an ok choice with a summer flowering perennial. It has fall, winter, and spring interest from what I understand.

Also, if you are driving around and see something that someone has planted that your think you might like and would work, stop and see if the owners are home. I am always more than happy to talk about my garden. If you see something now that you like, it would most likely work.

Jen

• bon_j
    13 years ago

I want to plant a flower bed near my house. The area is eastern exposure and right now I have spring bulbs that are beautiful in the spring. I just need some ideas as to what to plant for the summer/fall. I would like something taller in the back, maybe 3 feet, something in the center (medium), and something in the front. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting