Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexisls

Planning My Dream Garden - Where to Start?

alexisls
12 years ago

Last spring, we bought our forever home in Silver Spring. Now that the inside is in order, it's time to turn to the outside and the garden with lots of potential - or in other words, needs a lot of work.

While I've lived (and gardened a bit) in the DC/MD area for a number of years, this will be the first time I'll be putting in flowering/fruit trees and big perennials. My formative gardening experience comes from Northern California where you can almost stick a pencil in the dirt and have it grow, so I have a lot to learn about what works (and doesn't) in zone 7a.

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone I might hire to evaluate the soil condition and light exposure and help me develop an overall plan for the garden. I'll have to do planting in stages - some DIY and some hired out - and I want to be working toward a cohesive whole, rather than a patchwork of "one corner at a time."

I've looked at some gorgeous websites of landscape architects in the area, but they seem like they are a) likely to be out of my price range (it's a modest house in a modest neighborhood); and b) a lot more formal than my vision of a cottage garden.

On a more specific note - has anyone had success growing fruiting mulberries, persimmons and/or pomegranates? I've perused the fruit tree forum, but didn't come across any in this area.

Looking forward to any advice you can give. Thanks!

Comments (5)