Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Swap?

Posted by CEFreeman DC/MD Burbs 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 15:27

Hi all!

I'm getting ready to be able to attend the spring swap. At this point it isn't necessary to determine a location, but for me (and it's all about me) I have to ask about 2 months in advance for the day off.

Can we start deciding on a date?
I have no preference, but how 'bout the 1st Saturday of May?

Thanks!
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Swap?

Should we ask GardenGramma if she's willing to host us at her paradise for another year? And if so, would she prefer the first Saturday of May (May 4), the second Saturday of May (May 11), the third Saturday of May (May 18), or...?

The Sheep and Wool Festival is May 4-5. Mother's Day is May 12. The William Paca plant sale is May 12. The National Arboretum plant sale is April 26-27.

o

I vote for May 4th. Mother's Day weekend lots of folks are busy, and I've already arranged to be off on the 4th so that I can go to the swap. Also, if it isn't at Garden Gramma's, then where would it be held? Seems like attendance is variable,too. One year I went and there were about 50 attendees; last year only about 20.

o

I thought we were way closer to 50 than 20 attendees at the 2012 spring swap. And if you are worried about that, why not try recruiting in more gardeners?

In fact, I think everyone should try to bring a new friend this year.

And I vote for May 4th.

o

Reposting the survey link in this thread. So far (only 9 responses) Saturdays are winning big time over Sundays and the Mothers Day Saturday is a bit ahead of the two previous Saturdays.

We need Gardengramma's input on availability, though, if we're thinking (hoping) of having it there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Web survey

o

bump ~
I can do either Sat, May 4th or Sat May 11th.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

keeping my fingers crossed that Henrietta/Larry will invite us again to their lovely compound.

Jette

o

I don't suppose that somebody would e-mail Henrietta Gardengramma and ask if we could impose on her again for the swap, and if so, which days?

I'm ready for spring.

ChrisMD, a friend who is new to the swap, or a new friend? I don't know if I'm social enough to make a new friend by May 4. Or would a relative (new to the swap, not a new relative) count instead? :-)

o

I vote for May 11. My garden club sale is May 4 and Green Spring is May 18.

o

Survey update based on 16 responses (would have expected more by now). To generate the numbers, I used 1 for a yes and 1/2 for a maybe. So far Sat May 11 has a definite lead:

May 11 - 14.5
May 4 - 11.5
April 27 and May 18 - 10

All Sundays are a lot worse.

o

May 4 for me.

I'm getting a new knee the following week and my surgeon probably won't let me come!

(R. knee: gardening overuse injury?)

o

Just put my vote in. I prefer the 11th and Sundays are out because I have Farmer's Market. Planted onions today...

o

I've moved back to PA, and am thrilled to return to the MAG swaps, so count me in! I will likely have a few others from school that I recruit, so I'd guess another two or three attendees via me. I remember attendance more around 80-120....yrs 2003-2006ish (total people, not just GWers).

I can come to either May 4 or May 11 (definitely cannot May 18 as that is graduation at the college, and April just puts it in the thick of kiln firings for classes which means I'd likely try to go and have to skip at the last minute), but May 11 is my full point vote....give May 4 a 1/2 vote for me please.

I'll be able to bring more plants if it is then, as I'll have some time to harvest from my mother's gardens that I'd planted for her several years back.

Glad to be back,
Tina

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 14:41

o

Okay...so can we set the date ? Has anyone emailed Henrietta? Inquiring minds want to know...; )
Bonnie

o

I'll try and email her, but someone else should also do it as backup. meanwhile, Saturday May 11 has puled even farther into the lead.

o

I can come on May 11th but not the 4th. This will be my first time!

o

Everyone, gardengranma wrote a separate post about the spring swap:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/midatl/msg031057552422.html

"If you girls and boys would like to have it again at my house,Larry and I would be glad to do so. Either date is ok with us. I'd like to do the usual-someone else should do the organizing and we get the place ready - any volunteers for the grand poobah? Time got away from me and I almost forgot-thank you Larry for reminding me."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here