Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Spring Swap?

CEFreeman
11 years ago

Hi all!

I'm getting ready to be able to attend the spring swap. At this point it isn't necessary to determine a location, but for me (and it's all about me) I have to ask about 2 months in advance for the day off.

Can we start deciding on a date?
I have no preference, but how 'bout the 1st Saturday of May?

Thanks!
Christine

Comments (15)

• alfie_md6
    11 years ago

Should we ask GardenGramma if she's willing to host us at her paradise for another year? And if so, would she prefer the first Saturday of May (May 4), the second Saturday of May (May 11), the third Saturday of May (May 18), or...?

The Sheep and Wool Festival is May 4-5. Mother's Day is May 12. The William Paca plant sale is May 12. The National Arboretum plant sale is April 26-27.

• panambi
    11 years ago

I vote for May 4th. Mother's Day weekend lots of folks are busy, and I've already arranged to be off on the 4th so that I can go to the swap. Also, if it isn't at Garden Gramma's, then where would it be held? Seems like attendance is variable,too. One year I went and there were about 50 attendees; last year only about 20.

• chrismd
    11 years ago

I thought we were way closer to 50 than 20 attendees at the 2012 spring swap. And if you are worried about that, why not try recruiting in more gardeners?

In fact, I think everyone should try to bring a new friend this year.

And I vote for May 4th.

• madsquopper
    11 years ago

Reposting the survey link in this thread. So far (only 9 responses) Saturdays are winning big time over Sundays and the Mothers Day Saturday is a bit ahead of the two previous Saturdays.

We need Gardengramma's input on availability, though, if we're thinking (hoping) of having it there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Web survey

• busyasabee
    11 years ago

bump ~
    I can do either Sat, May 4th or Sat May 11th.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

keeping my fingers crossed that Henrietta/Larry will invite us again to their lovely compound.

Jette

• alfie_md6
    11 years ago

I don't suppose that somebody would e-mail Henrietta Gardengramma and ask if we could impose on her again for the swap, and if so, which days?

I'm ready for spring.

ChrisMD, a friend who is new to the swap, or a new friend? I don't know if I'm social enough to make a new friend by May 4. Or would a relative (new to the swap, not a new relative) count instead? :-)

• collectordi
    11 years ago

I vote for May 11. My garden club sale is May 4 and Green Spring is May 18.

• madsquopper
    11 years ago

Survey update based on 16 responses (would have expected more by now). To generate the numbers, I used 1 for a yes and 1/2 for a maybe. So far Sat May 11 has a definite lead:

May 11 - 14.5
    May 4 - 11.5
    April 27 and May 18 - 10

All Sundays are a lot worse.

• ellicottcitycathy
    11 years ago

May 4 for me.

I'm getting a new knee the following week and my surgeon probably won't let me come!

(R. knee: gardening overuse injury?)

• annebert
    11 years ago

Just put my vote in. I prefer the 11th and Sundays are out because I have Farmer's Market. Planted onions today...

• kilngod
    11 years ago

I've moved back to PA, and am thrilled to return to the MAG swaps, so count me in! I will likely have a few others from school that I recruit, so I'd guess another two or three attendees via me. I remember attendance more around 80-120....yrs 2003-2006ish (total people, not just GWers).

I can come to either May 4 or May 11 (definitely cannot May 18 as that is graduation at the college, and April just puts it in the thick of kiln firings for classes which means I'd likely try to go and have to skip at the last minute), but May 11 is my full point vote....give May 4 a 1/2 vote for me please.

I'll be able to bring more plants if it is then, as I'll have some time to harvest from my mother's gardens that I'd planted for her several years back.

Glad to be back,
    Tina

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 14:41

• gardnwatch
    11 years ago

Okay...so can we set the date ? Has anyone emailed Henrietta? Inquiring minds want to know...; )
    Bonnie

• madsquopper
    11 years ago

I'll try and email her, but someone else should also do it as backup. meanwhile, Saturday May 11 has puled even farther into the lead.

• lisamarie76
    11 years ago

I can come on May 11th but not the 4th. This will be my first time!

• ssmdgardener
    11 years ago

Everyone, gardengranma wrote a separate post about the spring swap:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/midatl/msg031057552422.html

"If you girls and boys would like to have it again at my house,Larry and I would be glad to do so. Either date is ok with us. I'd like to do the usual-someone else should do the organizing and we get the place ready - any volunteers for the grand poobah? Time got away from me and I almost forgot-thank you Larry for reminding me."

Sponsored