Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodeefish

Spring Swap

foodeefish
15 years ago

Any word on the Spring Swap this year? Date, Wereabouts, ect.......

Comments (18)

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

That is a good question. What about the spring swap this year?

• mirka_g
    15 years ago

I would be willing to host. I promise I won,t poop out like I did with the seed swap in January.
    Mary

• madsquopper
    15 years ago

We should wait to see if gardengranma wants to host (again). She's been doing it the past N years and there's no way we'll get a more beautiful spot.

Larry

• avoirgold
    15 years ago

Typically this swap is held the first Saturday in May. The weekend before Mother's Day. Unfortunately, due to increased travel for work, I won't be able to make it. Once the date is set, I usually post the haves, wants and food lists on the exchange forum. However, I will only have very limited access to the internet for the next month, so someone else will have to pick this up as well. I am sooooo bummed that I am going to miss the swap. :-(

Jen

• oogy4plants
    15 years ago

Oooh! I can't wait til spring and the swap! I have new seedlings on the way from a bunch of seeds from my collection. So far a few early ones are already sprouting under their plastic cover. Mostly native plants. I hope to have extras to swap/ give away.

Susan

• annebert
    15 years ago

Well, we could revise tradition and have it after Mother's Day so that Jen could come... The next Saturday is May 16 - seems like a fine date to me.

• avoirgold
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the kind thought Anne!! Unfortunately, I will be in FL from May 1 - 22. So definitely don't hold it for me. :-) Maybe I will send my husband as a proxy like I did once before. :-D

Jen

• nancymd2
    15 years ago

Are we looking at May 2nd? This is the first Saturday and Mother's Day is May 10th this year.

• madsquopper
    15 years ago

There are lots of garden sales in May that we try to avoid. I know the big one at Green Spring is May 16. I'm betting the swap will end up being May 2, in which case there's a good chance I'll have to show up very early and leave by 11. Cathy may drive separately and can stay later.

Larry

• beagler1776
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    I'm excited about the spring swap as I haven't been able to attend a few lately. I LOVE Garden Gramma's house and hope that works out as it is ideal in all ways.

In the event back-ups are ever needed, I wanted to volunteer my farm. It's not fancy or well landscaped (yet, sigh)but it does offer lots of room to gather/park and various farm critters for entertainment. I realize it's a bit off the beaten path for many tho... It's almost 1/2 hr above I 70 or from I 795's end;along the line of Frederick & Carroll Counties in New Windsor, MD 21776. Just thought I'd throw it out for consideration if we're ever in a pinch for a new location.

In any case, I can't wait to see you all soon. Spring was feeling near 'til todays miserable blowing snows... Oh well, back to daydreaming over Stark's catalog. Stay warm!

Leslie

• ryanzone7
    15 years ago

I wanna know
    I wanna go
    I wanna give seedlings
    I want gardening mags
    What kind do you want?
    ialbtc
    (some kids never grow up)

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    15 years ago

Yow--
    May 2 is dreadfully early for the tomatoes I usually bring.
    Is there any particular reason for constantly holding it in May? I mean, it is not unusual to have frost clear up to the last week of May!

• annebert
    15 years ago

I agree that the swap is often on the early side for me. Is May 9, the day before Mother's day, an option? is Sunday May 17 an option?

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

The reason for the first Saturday in May is so that we don't have to fuss about when to have the swap :-). I agree that May 2 is unusually early, but that's fine with me. Actually, earlier in May is better than later in May, for me, because later in May I'm busy with planting out.

(I wanna say hello to Professor Dirt!)

• mirka_g
    15 years ago

I think we should try for a Sunday swap. Perhaps starting a little later so that those who want to attend Sunday services can do so.
    Mary

• kimka
    15 years ago

The first question is if our traditional hostess Gardengrandma is interested in hosting us again? If so, then date, time and day are at her availability. Has anyone heard from her?

Hosting the Spring Swap is a pretty big deal. We have had upwards of 70 cars at times, so the host has to have enough space.

• cecilia_md7a
    15 years ago

Hey, Leslie, I've driven to New Windsor from Baltimore quite a few times - my brother and his family live there! You're right, it's off the beaten path, but once you get off Route 70 it's a lovely drive.

Heck, my sister-in-law would be thrilled if you held the swap. She's got a brand new garden that needs filling. As far as I'm concerned, it all depends upon my health (I'm doing chemo right now, but haven't had any bad side effects). And I have plenty of garden mags for the Prof.

• gardengranma
    15 years ago

May 2 or 9 is ok with me. I'd miss you guys if you didn't come here. I have been off the net for a little while, much gardening, much work-work, and a new computer (Vista). Love you guys though, just as always. You decide, I am free both weekends. have you thought of doing it on a Sunday? That would give me a chance to set upp on Saturday -- but whatever you want is ok. Send me an e-mail once the group has decided. Who does the set-up for wants and haves? I also thought we might want to have 5 to 10 mins talks by our resident experts on specific plants (in the house we have plenty of room. Like I have the secret for clivia - it only took me 10 years and one visit and chat at the Philadelphia flower show -- and I am so totally glad. second -- if anyone wants to use the new (replacement) in the plant room, bring a suit. It is nice. Thinking about the swap surely gets me out of the remnants of winter blaas.

Sponsored