Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenan_gw

Organic Soil in MD/DC

brenan
17 years ago

Hi,

I live in PG county, Maryland, on the border with DC and am considering having soil delivered to add a few raised beds. I'd like to add at least a 12' X 4' X 8" high bed and another 10' X 4' X 8" high bed.

Does anyone know of a place that sells and delivers organic soil/compost that would allow me to plant these two beds this year? (I'm hoping to use them for vegetables.) In the past I just added smaller beds and was able to use bags of soil from the nurseries and my own compost, but I don't think I can manage the amount needed to fill the two beds above.

Your ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brenan

Comments (3)

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I'm not certain what you mean by 'organic' soil.

I can tell you, that depending where you are on the PG/DC border, yes, there are many people who deliver.

I've created many, raised and yard-level beds (on about 3.5 acres' worth) using top soil and leaf compost mixed. I plant immediately.

It's not terribly expensive to have it delivered. Patuxent Nursery is about $125 for 9 yards. (They can hold more leaf compost than top soil, so what you buy depends upon how much you can get.)

If you have a truck, a bulldozer scoop is about $21.00. Ironically, Homestead Gardens gives THE best deal here! They're yard is TWO bulldozer scoops. My truck can only handle one, so I even go back twice and they don't fuss. $25.00.

So there you have it if you're between Bowie, Annapolis, Upper Marlboro, and DC.

Christine

• brenan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Christine,

I've been to Patuxent and Homestead a few times and really like the people there. Is there a particular mix you use? I wanted to avoid the "top soil" that I've had in the past that is nothing more than hard, gray, dirt. (That's what I've gotten in bags.) I usually have had enough compost to make it usable, but I know I won't have that much ready this spring for the new beds and the old.

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I know what you mean!
    I'm from Michigan, where the soil is black and rich. Glacial deposits. When they 1st delivered top soil to me, I was mad, because I didn't know why they thought I'd want all that clay.

Now, since the leaf compost is so light, I go anywhere from 1 scoop top soil to 2 scoops leaf compost. I also put down newspaper layers and bury and organic garbage I have at the moment.

The raised beds, depending upon your layers, will sink. Mine sunk 6'' the first summer. I mulch heavily in the fall which has the benefit of protecting some of the tender perennials and even annuals for another year. Since this sinks during winter's snow, I touch up in the Spring.

Now, I have great, rich soil in my gardens. Another benefit is that after a couple of years, I now don't have to do them winter and spring. I tend to now just do a bed when it's looking ragged. Of course, once I do one bed, they all look ragged.

Hmmmm... I'm sensing a pattern here.
    This is well worth the delivery fees if you don't have a truck! :)

Christine

Sponsored