Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellzie_gw

roses for a rope swag?

mellzie
17 years ago

Hello! I am a new gardener, in Baltimore, and for some strange reason I have become determined to grow roses in the sauna-like environment I live in. I am thinking of making a small rope swag between three wood posts along a little path, and I want a red or a white climbing rose. I want disease resistance, heavy blooming, some fragrance (although I'd sacrifice it for health and heavy blooms). I have some ideas--Dublin Bay, Don Juan, or maybe some white hybrid musks, but I don't know if these are too stiff to train around a pole and rope. The canes need to be somewhat flexible, I think, for this to work.

Has anyone tried anything like this in our climate, or does anyone have climbers they like that might work?

I wait with great excitement!

--Mel

Comments (3)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Mel, before you go about making your plans, check your neighborhood (and by that, I mean 5 or 10 miles around you) for RRD on wild multiflora or in other people's gardens. I've lost 3 roses to it already, and am not planting any more roses until I've rid my property of all Multiflora, and can be reasonably certain that there aren't large stands in the immediate neighborhood. I would hate for you to grow gorgeous roses only to lose them. Larger roses are more likely to be susceptible, simply by virtue of size.

As for roses, disease resistance in the Mid Atlantic region (aka Black Spot Hell) is hard to achieve. There are very, very, very few roses that are bulletproof; something like Darlow's Enigma comes close.

A few roses you may want to investigate:

Red

Illusion, Cl. Etoile de Holland, Guinee, Orfeo, Cl Fountain, Red Eden, Cl Crimson Glory, Fields of the Wood, and Courageous

Blanking out on whites, and I'm not sure how large some of these will get for us

Pax, White Dawn, Ilse Krohn Superior, White New Dawn. Cl. Clothilde Soupert and Cl. Souvenir de la Malmaison are both very pale pink, almost white (I only have the bush forms).

Suja

• mellzie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about some of those you mentioned. How about Dortmund or Dublin Bay for reds?
    Also, what is RRD? I don't think there are many wild roses in my nieghborhood--I'm in the city.
    Also, I planted two Mme Aldred Carriere last year, and they took a while to get going, but they started shooting up in fall and they are still green today (after two weeks of nights in the teens) so I am really hopeful for them. Also, same for two Zepherine Drouhin--still green! We'll see what happens next summer, though!
    --Mel

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Based on personal experience (and those of friends), just about any rose you plant, with very few exceptions, will require some sort of spray program if you expect them to not defoliate from black spot. Illusion is the only red I know that stays fairly clean with little effort.

I have no experience with either Dortmund or Dublin Bay. I'm not crazy about the white eye of Dortmund, but Dublin Bay is supposed to be a good, prolific rebloomer.

RRD = rose rosette disease. Make sure to look it up and familiarize yourself with it. Unfortunately, it's pretty ubiquitous in this region, and there is no preventative/cure/treatment. Being in the city makes it less likely that you'll get it, although it wouldn't be a guarantee. I've even seen it in the landscaping roses planted in mall parking lots.

Suja

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting