Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lights vs a Window for Seed Starting

Posted by baxter_md 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 16:52

I noticed that when most people discuss starting seeds they tend to mention starting them under lgihts. I have a large window with a SE exposure. Do folks think I can start my seeds using the natural light from the window? Or do you think I should purchase lights?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lights vs a Window for Seed Starting

get lights if you have the money, all you need is the cheap shoplight fixture(s) and flourescent bulbs, no need to spend the money on the "full spectrum" bulbs or anything, sometimes the shoplight fixtures even come up on freecycle etc.

kathleen

o

Get lights. You'll be very disappointed otherwise- just not enough light through a window to get nice stocky seedlings.

o

Thanks -- turns out that after speaking to my wife (we recently got married and combined households) we have a light for just this purpose. I'm going to set it up in our furnace room, which is nice and warm and gets morning light through a window.

o

something also good to use for indoor starting is a fan set on low to somewhat mimic the outside and get sturdier seedlings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here