Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadysite

Offer: Egyptian rocket lettuce seeds, straight from Cairo!

shadysite
14 years ago

When I opened a package of books from a Friend yesterday, I discovered two plastic baggies of seeds in the bottom. I thought they might be mustard seeds, but Vicky, now back in the Middle East, wrote

"OH no how funny! I think those are gargeer seeds! Rocket lettuce, that is...ADam got a bunch from our driver here and took half of them, and i took the other half...but forgot all about then, and that thye were in the envelope with the books! Why don't you try to plant some in your indoor or outdoor garden? I'm sure ADam has NO need for any more of the seeds, and if he does, the driver can get him some more here...that would be Egyptian variety rocket, which you can't find in the US...I think what you have is enough to plant half an acre...ha!!! "

I am in Chevy Chase MD and would be happy to share these locally if there is a plant/seed exchange scheduled for MD this spring. I would say I have about two cups of seeds and I've already wintersown wild arugula. Naturally, I will sow some of these seeds as well, but don't have half an acre to devote to lettuce. Any takers? I don't specially want to mail out, but I'd be happy to give some to anyone in the Metro DC area wbo wanted to stop by.

The Egyptian rocket tends to have a longer leaf and is very spicy. It is eaten as a side, usually served with trimmed spring onions, pickles, and other fresh greens in between bites of rice/fish/meat/veg etc.

Try something new this year! Visit Egypt culinarily while enjoying your own home!