Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Saw a robin 2/1/07

graywings123
17 years ago

I saw a robin at a park in Glen Burnie, MD yesterday. I wonder if he never left or just came back early.

Comments (10)

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

Oh, oh.
    Is he going to freeze? What do Robins do in the winter? I know they disappear in the heat of the summer, but where do they go?

C.

• graywings123
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Robins go south for the winter, but I assumed they stuck around here all summer.

I just read on line that robins start to return in early February, so maybe this guy knows what he is doing.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

I did a little googling about this last month when a robin appeared in a NH backyard. Here's an article which explains the 'confusing migration' of the robin. An interesting point is that they move more in relation to availability of food than due to the temperature changes. So, if there's food in an area (berries) they'll stay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confusing Migration

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

My daughter lives over on Rte 7 just south of Magnolia. They have a clump of woods just north of the house. Every Christmas a big flock of Robins shows up and feeds off something on the ground. Perhaps just warm enough they can scratch the cover aside and get nice juicy worms. Steve in Baltimore County.

• radagast
    17 years ago

A bunch of birds have returned to the local area (central Maryland) this past weekend, but I didn't get an ID on them, but I heard them in the morning. Probably finchs, starlings, etc. Not sure, but they tend to come back in early Feb, but they picked a cold and lousy time to show up!

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

In most of Maryland, robins are year-round residents; you don't see them much in the winter because they move into the woods or wherever there is a large amount of food (berries, mostly) to support them.

• comettose
    17 years ago

I havd Robins all winter here in St. Mary's county. When I lived in Anne Arundel I didn't see them in winter. Be sure to put out water for them (big drinkers!) and some fruit (chopped cherries, sliced canned peaches, or cut up raisons).

• bunyip
    17 years ago

I live in northern Virginia, and I see robins all winter here. Usually I see only one or two at a time, but about a month ago there was a huge flock which arrived and stripped my Foster's holly of its berries (annoying, because usually the cedar waxwings come for them) and pooped all over my porch, front walk, etc.

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I just saw my first robin yesterday in Takoma Park. It was surprising how my head did such a double-take.
    I had at that very moment been thinking to myself, "Self? I'd think it were spring if it weren't February!" And there he was.

YeAH !
    Christine

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

I was out yesterday tromping through the snow with my kids and I saw a flock or Robins (30+ birds) in a neighbor's trees. I could not help but think that they were flying around enjoying the 50 degree weather last week and were now a bit confused by all the snow!

- Brent

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County