Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collectordi

Hellebores and snowdrops

collectordi
18 years ago

I have snowdrops blooming and fat buds on my hellebores. They're not quite open but they will be soon. Anyone else seen anything exciting?

Comments (4)

• oscarthecat
    18 years ago

We have pussy willow in bloom. many bulbs and peonies peeking through. One of the things rather disturbing though are the number of rose bushes leafing out. Could mean trouble later on. But let us hope for the best. Spring is just around the corner. Steve in Baltimore

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Hellebore foetidus and H.Niger have been blooming for a while, and yesterday I found blooms on some of the H.Orientalis which are in sunny spots. That was a surprise! Winter Aconite has been blooming for a few weeks, I probably have more blooms than I know about and they're simply covered with leaf debris :-) There are also buds on some of the early species tulips. Please let this weather continue...

• collectordi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, the snowdrops are over now but the hellebores are still blooming their little heads off. What great plants they are!

• agardenstateof_mind
    18 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the Mid-Atlantic forum. Lots beginning to pop here near the New Jersey shore. The hellebores are beginning to look tired, having started their bloom in January. Most of the snowdrops are still looking fresh, though they're nearing the end or their bloom cycle. Crocus is in full bloom, daffodils are opening, and the forsythia is just beginning to bloom. Some of the pachysandra has been in bloom for about a week ... what's with that? All kinds of spring bulbs are pushing up foliage, and there's new growth visible on the irises, daylilies, Montauk Daisy, hollyhock, geranium and clematis. Noticed a primrose blossom just beginning to open today. Now is when I can see where I wish I had planted bulbs ... must remember to go out and mark the spots so I can follow through come fall.

I see a lot of roses and other shrubs leafing out too, hope we don't have a late hard frost. Tree peony began unfurling its leaves a month ago, so has been protected with a teepee of bamboo canes and clear plastic ... only its second season and it has six large flower buds!

The garlic is really beginning to grow rapidly and the veggies that overwintered (late-planted spinach, carrots, peas) are greening up and showing new growth.

Some of our worst snow storms have been in April ... but, with all this going on, here's hoping for an early - and uninterrupted - spring this year.

Diane

Sponsored