Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busyasabee_gardenweb

Viburnum 'snowball' in MD

busyasabee
19 years ago

I bought a viburnum 'snowball' at my local Wal-Mart, and I was wondering if anyone in the z7 (Montgomery County) area has had any experience with this plant. Please share your experience.

Comments (6)

• breezyb
    19 years ago

I haven't grown it here in VA yet (although I plan to), but did grow it successfully back in Zone 7 NY.

It reached about 6' in height & about the same or more in breadth, & by late summer/early fall was literally covered with huge round balls of white flowers.

They were lovely both on the bush & as cut flowers.

It's a very nice shrub - but do give it enough room.

• busyasabee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alas, sad to say my viburnum didn't make it. May it rest in peace! The pictures of the flowers looked beautiful, oh how I wished the plant survived.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

Really? What happened? Was the plant leafed out when you purchased it? Do you know what kind of Viburnum it is? I have seen the "snowball" name listed with a variety of Viburnums. I purchased two Blue Muffin Viburnums (Viburnum dentatum 'Blue Muffin') at Home Depot this year. One of them has some leaves but the other is still leafless. I am still holding out hope because I understand these leaf out late and both have green under the bark.

BTW, I think that WalMart has a plant guarantee, so you could at least get your money back.

- Brent

• busyasabee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It started leafing out a little bit, and then kaput...it died. The leaves fell, and now all I have are brown sticks in a pot! Thanks for the info regarding Walmart plant guarantee, I plan on getting my money back.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

busyasabee: This sounds like a good learning experience to figure out why the plant died. It sounds like it was alive when you brought it home. Did you keep it in its pot or did you plant it in the ground. Did you water it enough? Too much? Did it get too much sun? Did the plant seem to have a healthy root system? Was it root bound?

I am not saying that YOU killed the plant, because plants die in the hands of the most experienced gardeners. My goal is to try to kill fewer plants each year.

- Brent

• msmeliss58
    18 years ago

I bought two dying ones last year and planted them in the corners of my bed around our gazabo. They are beautiful this spring. In fact they and one painted fern are the only things that survived the winter. I kinda knew they might get big for the area but it said they liked to have wet feet and this are is very wet from the rain draining off the roof of the gazabo.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus