Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mirka_g

Swap thoughts

mirka_g
14 years ago

I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression that Henrietta expends quite a bit of money at the swaps she hosts. If we keep imposing upon her each spring I think more of us should consider bringing a main course so the she does not feel obligated to go out and provide for the carnivores amoungst the group..

It should not be her responsibility to provide for the group.

TOO many desserts and not enough protein

Comments (9)

• leslies
    14 years ago

If I recall, last year, we also ran short of plastic flatware (i.e., we didn't have ANY!)

Sounds like paper towels, toilet paper, maybe dish soap and some other things might also be welcome.

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

I have plastic knife-fork-spoons = styrofoam plates etc if someone can pick them up. Steve S.

• avoirgold
    14 years ago

I made a note about this on the food list for the swap. Hopefully it will help.

Jen

• chrismd
    14 years ago

As I said on the other thread, I have a large box of plastic plates, flatware, cups, etc. already collected for the swap.

• alfie_md6
    14 years ago

In my opinion -- me, Alfie, speaking only for the personal opinion of myself -- the food rules should be:

1. Bring things you want to eat and use. If you want to eat food (last year, to the delight of my daughters, the sign said something like, "Food on the table, desserts on the counter"), bring food. If you want to eat meat, bring meat. If you want to eat vegetables, bring vegetables. If you want to eat dessert, bring dessert. If you want to eat off plates, using forks and spoons, and drink out of cups, and wipe your fingers on a napkin instead of your hair, bring those (unless enough other people are already bringing them).

2. Take the leftovers home with you, so Gardengranma doesn't get stuck with them (unless she wants to get stuck with them).

Gardengranma, would it help you if somebody hauled away the garbage?

• oogy4plants
    14 years ago

In the interest of sustainability, how about if instead of using mostly disposible items, we bring our own reusable plates and utensils and napkins? This will cut down on garbage hauling and waste. Several tubs of washwater can be set up to wash and rinse them afterwards. I can't take credit for this idea, but attended a large picnic where this was done and it worked beautifully. I am willing to help set up a wash station outside.

• manure_queen
    14 years ago

Sounds like a good idea. I have no problem bringing non-disposables. Mary

• chrismd
    14 years ago

Thanks people - but if you haven't read my first post, I ALREADY HAVE a large box of cups, plates and silverware in hand from a Freecycler for this event.

• oogy4plants
    14 years ago

Sorry chrismd, we would still need to have disposibles on hand, so those will come in handy. Thanks for planning ahead. Personally, I will bring my own cup, plate, and fork because I feel bad using plastic and will also bring the bins. We can trial the wash setup if many people need to wash dishes. I'll need them anyway to carry compost.