Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gasp! It's March already - time to plan MAGTAG 2010

Posted by cecilia_md7a 7a/Baltimore,MD (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 8:28

With all the snow we've had here in the Mid-Atlantic, I can't believe that it's already March. I haven't even had time to start any seeds yet, since my DH plugged our new treadmill into the outlet where I usually plug the timer for my lights in the basement. He bought another extension cord this weekend, so it won't be long now. As a backup, I bought some plants from SSE and Burpee (need my Sungold fix!)

When I do start my seeds, I'm going to concentrate on the Mid-Atlantic varieties again - as you may recall, Scarab and Delmar never properly germinated. I also joined SSE (just to support them; I don't have the physical space to isolate plants and save seed). I notice that two growers are offering Maryland Large Red (from the SSE collection), and there is also a Maryland Pink (orignially from Chuck Wyatt), and a currant tomato that I'd never heard of called Tess's Land Race, which the offeror got from Baker Creek seeds and says "originated from Maryland's Southern Shore" - where would that be? I know we have an Eastern and Western shore.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gasp! It's March already - time to plan MAGTAG 2010

Sounds good,

I just bought some inserts for my seed starting trays. I am pyched to start many, many tomato plants.

What fun it is!

Greg

o

I finally started some seeds on Saturday - I planted lots of Scarabs and DelMars, since they never germinated last year. I hope some sprout by next weekend so I can start more varieties (I only have one heat mat).

BTW, did anybody see the March issue of Martha Stewart Living? There's an article by Barbara Damrosch about a tomato tasting that she, Martha, Tim Stark (Heirloom: Notes from an Accidental Tomato Farmer), and two NY chefs attended, which was hosted by Amy Goldman (The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table). They used printed cards to rate the varieties, but then there were only a few folks invited, so that procedure worked fine. Just like at MAGTAG, "Black Cherry" was a hit. I went online to see if I could email a letter to the editor mentioning MAGTAG, but Marthastewartdotcom doesn't seem to have any way to do this. Maybe Martha just doesn't want to listen to anybody's comments.

I did think it was sweet that Damrosch humbly referred to herself as "a farmer from Maine." Ya gotta love that gal.

o

I started most of my seeds this year between march 10th and 12th. I am starting to see some Sophie's Choice arrise as of this morning.

As always, I am sure this will be the best year yet!

o

Cecelia WHEN???
Have a lot of stuff started. over 50 different varieties. I have both azoycha and azoychka They are not the same although fruits are very similar.. One has a more yellow leaf. At the seedling stage they are easily differentiated. I think 1 may decide to be potato leaf but cannot tell yet. MAry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here