Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nothwehr

Figs in the mid-atlantic area

nothwehr
12 years ago

I started growing figs about a year ago. From what I have read from the fig forums on the web it is really important to match the variety of fig with the geographical area. I would like to suggest that everyone who grows figs in the mid-atlantic area post information on the figs that they grow and their impressions. What varieties do well and which don't? Information on flavor, fruit color, cold hardiness, productivity, open/closed eye, resistance to splitting in wet weather etc. would be very welcome. Please indicate whether the fig is grown in container or in the ground.

I grow Violette de Bordeaux, Chicago Hardy, Mildenhall (unknown green fig) and Celeste. I will obtain Marseilles vs Black and Ronde de Bordeaux later in the spring. My figs are all too young to provide any useful information on at this point. Space is limited so I plan to growth them in containers another year and then decide which 2 or 3 to plant in the ground. I am open to collecting another one or two varieties if there is good evidence that they do well in Maryland. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

My son lives up near Aberdeen. He has a tree of Black Turkey which is loaded with fruit every year.

• marymd7
    12 years ago

I grow Texas Everbearing (which some claim is the same as Hardy Chicago -- it is certainly very similar). It is almost annoyingly prolific. I usually refer to it as "the fig tree that ate Southern Maryland." I also grow a no-name large green fig started from cuttings from a friend. It ripens very late, but also does quite well. Many people in this area grow Celeste successfully.

• nothwehr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oscar, I have heard that Brown Turkey is very prolific but some say the flavor is not as good as many other varieties. Others really like it. It's definitely one of the most popular in this area.

Mary,thanks for the information on your figs. I hadn't considered Texas Everbearing. Do you like the flavor? When you say "prolific" it sounds like you are referring to vegetation rather than fruit. Most experts on the Figs4fun forum have said that growth varies between varieties but any fig can get large under the right conditions and the way to keep a fig tree/bush relatively small is via pruning. Your figs are in the ground, correct?

• jchandler2730
    12 years ago

I grow mission figs, which I prefer over other types. The brown turkey are very common but a little boring because they are so common (neighbors gave us en pounds of them last summer because they have so many). I tried Peter's Honey but didn't much like them. I tried Celeste but found the fruit is small and uninteresting. With the recent mild winters, overwintering has not been a problem at all.

PS - The black snakes looooove figs. Some have a little V bite mark. Deer don't seem to care for them.

• nothwehr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have avoided Black Mission because I had understood that this variety is not very winter hardy but I might need to re-think that. They are supposed to be really tasty. Do you protect your Black Mission trees?

• marymd7
    12 years ago

Again, Texas Everbearing is in all liklihood the same as Hardy Chicago. It's a smallish brown fig with red flesh. I think it's quite good, if common as dirt. It makes excellent preserves. The trees bear lots and lots of fruit and the tree itself is a monster. My figs are all in the ground.

I do nothing to protect my trees. They've suffered little or no winter die back in the last couple of years, but a few years back there was major die back on all types of figs across southern Maryland (where I live).

The quality of any fig depends as much on the growing conditions as the variety in my opinion. A hot dryish August produces excellent fruit. Lots of rain produces burst, watery fruit.

My advice? Plant varieties that don't routinely require winter protection and don't over-think it. They're figs. Basically, they're weeds. Enjoy the fruit and save the fancy horticultural maintenance for a plant that really demands it.

• eibren
    12 years ago

I planted a couiple of small figs last year and so far this year cannot locate them (Brown Turkey and Black Mission. Apparently they had too much competition and not enough sun).

I plan to plant a Hardy Chicago in a newly cleared spot soon. Wish me luck--I am North of Reeser's Summit.