Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moles or Voles - how do we tell and then what?

Posted by selbybay Chesapeake Bay (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 6, 06 at 9:02

Our yard is over run with some type of burrowing critters - the land is about a block from the bay and the soil is very sandy. We have not seen any of the animals, but our dogs (Westie terriers) are constantly digging at the tunnel entries - which there are many of. We are only there on weekends but would like to find a way to send these guys packing as the yard is becoming a maze of shallow tunnels. I read a few articles online and one suggestion is to put a metal barrier around your property to prevent tunnels - my thought was to run the fence perimeter (the recommendation is about 1 ft. in the ground and 6" above. Then begin trapping the Moles or Voles. The article was from a person living in the southwest US and I'm not sure if the same thing will work in the mid eastern bay area. Also his article is about moles and gophers - I don't know what we have, and I don't think there are gophers in our area - how do we tell if they are moles or voles?

Will appreciate any assistance.

Mike in Edgewater

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moles or Voles - how do we tell and then what?

I've had mole problems in my yard. I've used castor oil products and sonic mole repellent stakes. The castor oil only seemed to work a few weeks. The stakes seem to work the best, only you need a lot of them (I have 5 to cover .15 acres) and you have to replace the batteries frequently. Once the batteries get weak, the moles come right back.

Jean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here