Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zebfam

Landscaping feedback please (picture included)

zebfam
15 years ago

I am looking for some feedback on a front entryway design.

I have gotten two different plans and unsure which one would work better for our needs.

I am looking for something very low maintainence and that is going to last awhile.

Also I have been given different advice on what is the best way to control weeds. One said Vinca Minor Groundcover, others have said lay a weed barrier and others just spraying weed killer and stay on top of them..thoughts?

These are what has been suggessted to me, looking for feedback. I have also included a picture of the front of our home from a couple years ago

Plan #1

4-Blue Princess Holly

1-Viburnum Pragense

1-Dwarf Hinski Cypress

3- Barberry 'Crimson Pygmy'

1-Viburnum Shasta

Plan #2

4-Otto Luyken Laurels

3-Franklin's Gem Boxwood

1-Steed's Holly

{{gwi:13440}}

Comments (3)

• oogy4plants
    15 years ago

Hi zebfam,

I would be happy to help you with your front entry design questions, if you provide more information. You received 2 different plans, and give lists of shrubs. The picture shows a very basic (and dated) foundation area and narrow pathway with lawn. Where would the new shrubs be planted?
    Is the front walkway and steps wide enough for access to the front door? Do you need some shading in the front? Why do you want to plant new shrubs?

As for low maintenance, how much time can you spend? A ground cover would be best once it matures to control weeds and would not require pesticides or weed fabric (which in many opinions, is not effective for long).

What are your expectations about how long the planting will last? Choosing shrubs that are very slow growing or that have a mature size that fits the space will help.

Susan

• zebfam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Susan. What is there now is just very old and not growing. I was looking to start from scratch with some things that more fit us and our needs. I will admit I am not into gardening nor do I have the time, so I am looking to something very easy to maintain and will last as long as possible as we do not have the $ to replace often.
    We get sun in this area 1/2 of the day.

Here is the plan layout

Plan #1 from left to right
    Left of door

(2) Blue Princess Holly / (1) Viburnum Pragense/(2) Blue Princess Holly

Right of door
    (1)Dwarf Hinski Cypress/(3)Barberry 'Crimson Pygmy'/ (1) Viburnum Shasta

Plan #2 From Left to right
    Left side of door

Franklin's Gem Boxwood / (3) Otto Luyken Laurels / Franklin's Gem Boxwood

Right side of door

Franklin's Gem Boxwood / Otto Luyken Laurel / Steed's Holly

• leslies
    15 years ago

I think you don't have room for the 'Shasta' viburnums - they readily reach 6' x 6'. Ditto for the laurels. Left to its own devices, that rhododendron could also get quite large, but they grow fairly slowly.

For smaller shrubs, have a look at any of the weigelas, deutzia gracilis 'Nikko' (which can become a decent groundcover), caryopteris, dwarf bayberries, japanese spireas and even leptodermis.

If it were my front walk, I might well consider staying with the white azaleas and just keep it simple. The ones you have look nice on the red brick, are easy to care for and should stay pretty manageable in size. I might put some daffodils in, too, just because I love daffodils.

As for groundcover, you have to care for this at least a bit, if only to rake out the leaves in the spring, but it is a better idea than landscape fabric, which doesn't really work (I know, I had it at my old house). I personally don't much care for vinca, especially if something else will grow. Have a look at sweet woodruff, any of the ajugas, creeping thyme or even saponaria ocymoides, which blooms up a storm in early summer and isn't hard to kill if you decide you don't like it anymore!

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet woodruff pics

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus