Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patapscomike

Bamboo for trellises or fences

patapscomike
17 years ago

Hello all,

I live just up the hill from Ellicott City, and over the past week a neighbor and I have begun attacking the bamboo grove that is trying to take over our back yards. It struck me as I was working with the 25' tall plants that these would make exceptional garden stakes, trellises, etc. Maybe even a simple fence. It's fairly easy to cut with a regular cross-cut saw. Has anyone else tried this?

I've been reading the forums since mid-winter, but I just now registered. I look forward to communicating with others in the area from now on.

And if anyone who is local to me would like some bamboo, it's yours for the taking. Just send me an e-mail. I have a lifetime supply already, and I'm just going to end up taking most of it to the dump.

Comments (7)

• manure_queen
    17 years ago

Major problem that I have with bamboo is that it is only good for 1 seasom., occasionally it will keep for 2. I would not put a whole lot of effort into building something unless you can figure out how to extend its life
    MAry

• gardengranma
    17 years ago

I am a bamboo lover. First of all, you can keep it in check by mowing over it. Second, you must dry the canes and if you stick them into the ground, you can put them on short rebar to keep them off the ground. There are lots of web sites that show how to design and tie them. Go for it, I think they are great. besides, if the don't last, you can always have more, right? The most important part is to dry them off the ground first for a season.

• annebert
    17 years ago

Mike,

Maybe you could bring some bamboo to the spring swap? I still have several canes I got from Henrietta a couple of years ago, and I find good uses for them. Hate to think of them going to the dump.

• patapscomike
    Original Author
    17 years ago

annebert- that's a great idea. If I can make it (which I won't know until a few days before) I'll bring a whole bunch.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

There are always takers for Bamboo. What I did find, though, is that if you don't want to have it spread or be responsible for controlling it?
    1) don't plant it (right, check)
    2) don't stick still green sticks into the ground. They can root, I'm here to tell you!

Cindy in Takoma Park (catnoir, I think?) had to clear bamboo that had spread in the ugliest of descriptions. An older neighbor's garden no longer cared for or something. She ended up having to chop the canes, then pour straight round-up into the holes. She finally got it out of her yard at least. I can't figure this out, though, since Round-Up works on foliage. I would have thought Brush-B-gone or something.

I really digress. I love bamboo and if I can get it safely into my truck? I'm interested. :)

Christine

• patapscomike
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a grove of bamboo on my property line. It's 30-40 feet tall and very robust. Mowing keeps it in check on my side, horse grazing on the other side. It makes a great visual screen, and I find lots of uses for the canes, but I can see where it could become a problem. I would not bring live canes, just cut ones about 20 feet long. I would bring my machete too, so I can cut it to whatever length someone might want.

Will gladly trade for some tasty tomato plants or flowers...

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

I'd love to have bamboo and should have some nice heirloom type tomatoes. Hope to see you at the swap.
    Beth B

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County