Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayinpenn

Budget cold frames Year 2

rayinpenn
14 years ago

My two budget cold Frames (7' X 4', plastic drop clothes for panes) were a success last year planted lettuce, spinach and carrots Early September and had production thru Novemeber. The heavy snows finally did them in. --What I learned I planted shortie carrots that do not grow big enough to be worth while. I'll plant medium size ones this year for my fall crop. My wife found a heavier mill of drop cloth that I put on this weekend - (looks promising) I planted spinanch and lettuce again for my Spring Crop and a bed of lettuce outside the the cold frames just for comparison. I am aching to build some raised beds w/ strawberries this coming week end- lets hope the rain holds off....Its been a long winter!

Comment (1)

• gflynn
    14 years ago

I just built a cold frame (mini-green house) for my tomato seedlings. I like the idea that the plastic allows some of the suns light to hit the leaves but is not quite as harsh as direct light. I always have a problem with burn when I bring out the seedlings.

Hopefully this year they will do well! I am going to put a light in it at night to keep them warm.

Greg

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County