Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small native tree for dry corner

Posted by echalmers 6bMD (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 9:22

I'm looking to plant a small native tree or large shrub--around 12-15 feet max--in a corner of the yard that is pretty dry. The roots would be in shade (dry shade, the worst), but the treetop would get plenty of sun.

The oakleaf hydragea that is there now seemed to suffer in the summer, so I plan to move it. The huge old shrub rose on the other side of the fence, which I hardly ever watered, was spectacular all summer and had to be pruned several times.

I would love to have a smokebush, even if it isn't native, or a hammamelis virginiana. I also thought about putting in a productive tree. I did plant a (nonnative)crape myrtle a little further in, also a weeping crab and an amelanchier closer to the house.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small native tree for dry corner

• Posted by suja z7 noVA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 16:01

Some sort of dogwood - Cornus drummondii, or Cornus racemosa, maybe. Cotinus obovatus is a native smoketree, but would get too big for your spot. Redbuds generally stay compact, and Cercis canadensis is definitely a local native. Bush honeysuckle (Diervilla lonicera) is probably not big enough for what you have in mine. I am guessing that there has to be some sort of Holly or Viburnum that would do well in that type of situation as well.

o

What about going one step farther and try to find a "Covey" Weeping Redbud. They might be pricey!

o

How about another craoe myrtle or a Japanese Maple? The second certainly not Native, but that would fit right in.

o

What about ninebark? It is supposed to be pretty tough, and there are gold, blackish-purple, copper cultivars. Lots of discussion in shrubs forum...

o

How about service berry, shadblow? It is lovely in the woods at this time of year. There are some varieties available in nurseries. A very graceful tree/shrub with white flowers and open enough that you can plant other things under it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here