Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hedychium coronarium, any luck in MD/DC/VA?

Posted by hard-at-work 6B (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 10:24

Hi there,

I was curious if anyone had luck growing these white ginger in our area. I've got mostly a shady hill side, but I can make room in my sunny spots for this if need be.

I'm a transplant from Miami, so I'm always looking for some tropical feel.

Thanks much-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hedychium coronarium, any luck in MD/DC/VA?

I haven't grown them personally, but several people in the local DCTropics group are growing them and report that they are reliably hardy.

If you're interested in growing tropicals, check us out. Gardenweb doesn't accept a direct link to the group, but you can Google "DCTropics" to find us (our group is the first result that pops up).

o

BTW be sure to check out the "Tropicalesque" forum here on Gardenweb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropicalesque forum

o

Your zone (6B) is colder than DC. I have been trying for several years here in 6B/7A to get one to survive the winter outside so that it will flower - it's one of my favorite scents...

I'll let you know in a few weeks if it worked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here