Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lots2learn_gw

Shrubs & Such

lots2learn
17 years ago

Physocarpus opulifolious

Ninebark

Does anyone have any experience with this one? Need to establish some shrubs and small specimen trees then get busy and fill in with perennials and some annuals.

Thanks

K

PS Is it a Yew that smells like cat urine? I want to avoid the evergreen that smells like that! :-)

Comments (12)

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I can't speak about the cat pee thing, other than what my 7 copiously produce.

However, I have two ninebarks, the 'Coppertina' and 'Diablo.'

ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. They're both full sun, and if it's at my house and full sun? It's FULL sun.

The 'Coppertina' is shiner than a new copper penny in the spring, darkening to a deep coppery orange. The 'Diablo' is almost black, and mine at 3 years old is about 9' tall. I think these are gorgeous.

I plan to pick up the yellow one with which 'Diablo' was crossed to produce the 'Coppertina.' I love them.

You might want to look at some of the low-growing wegelia such as 'Summer Wine' or some of the Elderberries (I forget their latin name right now) such as the 'Black Lace.' Gorgeous.

C.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Elderberry = Sambucus racemosa. I had the dark one and it didn't make it. (But it was a 6" inch cutting, so who knows.) The Sutherland Gold and a variegated are bulletproof. Of the physocarpus I have 3 Diablo and one Summer Wine. SW is growing akwardly. I'm waiting for it to shape up. It may not be a true dwarf just a very slow grower. I'm more than pleased with my Diablos. Just stunning and hold their color all summer. If it's at my house (to paraphrase Christine) it's shade, always shade. These get the most sun I can offer which isn't much. I wouldn't put them in full shade, but they can handle part shade and hold their color.

• zebz
    17 years ago

Boxwood smells like cat urine to some people.

• lots2learn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to both of you for all your great info. They sound really great! I will admit that I do not want something nine foot tall....but have read that you determine the size you want by yearly pruning.

Do the blooms have any fragrance?

K

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

Blossoms?

I must be losing my mind, but I don't recall flowers on these at all. I guess I'm loving the foliage so much I never noticed?

C.

• lots2learn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

C-

Lol! Well, I am looking for foliage interest so your reply is perfect! :-) Say hi to your kitties.

Here's what I found on Coppertina

Uses:
    Great foliage stunner in the landscpae. Good in groupings and mass planting, good in perennial and shrub borders. Use in containers and as a screen.

Features:
    Coppery-orange foliage is a whole new look for this native shrub. As summer progresses the copper foliage transforms to a rich red hue. Dottted with pinkish-white flowers in summer. Bears red fruit in fall. Bark on older plants exfoliates into papery strips.

Growing Tips:
    Adaptable to difficult situations. Withstands acidic and alkaline soils. Best if pruned immediately after blooming. Sets buds the summer prior to blooming. Medium moisture, can tolerate dry conditions once established. Deciduous shrub. Fertilize in early spring by applying a slow release fertilizer specialized for trees and shrubs. Follow the label for recommended rate of application.

• lots2learn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went to a garden center this weekend and discovered the evergreeen that smells like cat urine. Juniper. Gag.

(I did notice however that not all junipers smelled that way.)

:-)
    K

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

Berries?

Yeah, mine is in horribly, dry, mean sun and soil. It's gorgeous. Full sun gets the best color.

Yeah!
    Christine

• spanaval
    17 years ago

I'm regretting not ordering a Coppertina. It'll go nicely in my mostly Orange and purple bed. Darn!

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

Do you want me to keep an eye out for one over here? Let me know how much is too much, and I will.

C.

• lots2learn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok...I am sold. I was excited to see a physocarpus Diablo on "A Gardener's Diary" this morning. It was beautiful!

The host asked about the flowers only to be told they were actually the berries left after the bloom. So that cleared up the berry/bloom question.

I have called some local centers and they say they will be getting some in. Almost all places have said at least 29.99. Eek! Geez I'm cheap. Anyway, they will call when they come in so I can check them out in person. I'd love to see Summer Wine, Diablo, Coppertina and Dart's Gold. (Is Dart's Gold the yellow one you were talking about?)

Anywho....Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

K

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

Yes, Dart's Gold is the golden one.
    I want one of those for my last year's Yellow/Gold and Burgundy/Dark Purple garden. LOVE it!

Don't worry about them being expensive. I can promise, these are shrubs that do not disappoint.

C.

Sponsored