Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwiggin3

When to Plant and What to Plant

dwiggin3
19 years ago

I posted over on the "new to gardening group" and go 1 response, which was helpful..but I still have some questions.

I live in an unusual kind of apt. complex and have a small planting bed right outside my back door. It's about 2 feet square and right up against the foundation. The sun hits it in the afternoon untill sunset. Out my front door, under the window and up agains the foundation is another bed that is about 8 feet long and about 3 feet wide. It has large bushes on either side. The sun hits it in the morning and is gone by 12 or 1.

I've removed the mulch (Oh, btw, I do have permission to plant) and discovered that the soil is not looking too great. Should I just put some topsoil from the local home store on it and mix it well? When is it okay to do this?

I'm planning on replanting flowers from pots. About when is it safe to do this - early april or mid april? (as I speak its snowing lol)

Finally, because the foundation wall is not all that nice to look at, I'm looking to put some flowers with height in the back and gradually lower as you come forward. I'd like a lot of color from spring through fall. Given the shade tolerance levels listed above, any suggestions (It was suggested that I use Black Eyed Susan's for height in the back but I'm not sure if they prefer direct or indirect light)?...

Many thanks

DLW

Comments (3)

• dcolilla
    19 years ago

I would "amend" the soil by mixing in compost and maybe peat moss as well (both which can be bought at most garden centers or Home Depot).

As for planting time, I've started in early April and haven't had any troubles, and I'm located North of you.

Black Eyed Susan's like sunlight so I would plant them in the sunniest space available. I would put them in the larger bed just because the porportion of the plant size to bed size is better.

-Dan

• spanaval
    19 years ago

Starting with the soil - I wouldn't use the 'Mud in a bag' that is sold as top soil. Use compost instead. The quality is likely to be much better.

For the plants - Use plants that do well in our soil/climate. Me, I'm a bit lazy that way, and tend to choose things that can rough it out. I am fairly certain that both your beds are okay for plants that like a fair bit of sun, just not ones that love being baked to death. Since the space is limited, I would go with things that go vertical, and are not fussy for the most part.

Some plants to consider that I like for your situation: Coreopsis moonbeam, and Nepeta Walker's Low, and Geranium Nimbus/Rozanne towards the front of the bed, and Digitalis, Astilbe, Oriental Poppies, Oriental Lilies, Shasta Daisy 'Becky', Persicaria Firetail, Echinacea and a small ornamental grass or two for the middle/back. Still think you need something a little tall and purple/blue, but can't think of anything off hand.

Some of these aren't necessarily long blooming, but because of their nature, can be grown through other plants, or in close proximity to them.

Suja

• alfie_md6
    19 years ago

I would skip the peat moss and just use compost. Also, when you've planted, be sure to mulch! The best thing for your soil would be a homemade mulch like grass clippings, chopped leaves, or both, but if those aren't available, and/or if the apartment manager thinks it looks untidy, shredded hardwood is far better than nothing.

It sounds like the bed outside your front window is part shade. If you want lots of color, you might be better off looking at multi-colored foliage. (I HATE multi-colored foliage. But it can be a good thing, in other people's gardens :-).) The other bed sounds like it's full sun, so you can get the color from flowers.

Also keep in mind that both beds, since they're next to foundation walls, will stay warmer than beds out in the open. This means that you can plant earlier without worry of frost and that you might be able to get plants that are only hardy to zone 8 to overwinter.

Finally, if I were you, with brand-new beds, in an apartment, I think I would skip the perennials and stick with annuals for instant gratification with little investment of time and money. (Or more time but even less money, if you want to start them from seed.)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living