Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandyvilla

No. VA Swap w/ a Twist

Mandyvilla
19 years ago

The No. VA swap is on for April 30 (with SEVERE rain date of May 1). Due to Marylanders and DC residents being unable to post on the VA forum, we are creating threads on the MAG forum so all interested parties can participate. We are very sensitive to the time and efforts that have gone into the other swap and to minimize ANY confusion, we will keep the details on the VA forum and will just post the "HAVES" and "WANTS" for non-Virginians on the MAG Exchange.

Now the "TWIST". This site for the swap is phenomenal! with tons of space, pavilion, lakes, barns, playground, electricity, and running water. Due to the cancelled Oatlands and several interested non profit organizations, vendors are being invited to come in and set up outside of the swap area. Smaller family oriented growers/vendors and non profits groups will be welcomed, as well as, local crafters, as long as it's "ANYTHING GARDENING". The vendor's space will be separate from the swappers, but close in proximity for convenience. The addition of vendors in the vicinity is meant to enhance the swap, AND BY NO MEANS, make this a commercial endeavor. (FWIW, any fees to vendors will only be accepted in the form of a donation to a non-profit).

Volunteers are vital to making this event work. We have numerous donated plants for doorprizes, as well as, for volunteers willing to assist before and at the event. Enough volunteers=more time for all to enjoy. (note to DC/MD folks: please send me an email with your return email if you would like to volunteer, since you cannot post on the VA forum). A perfect way for newbies to get some plants - keep 'em or swap 'em. Doorprizes will be given out throughout the day.

Bringing a picnic lunch is encouraged - going potluck is open, really depends on the interest level and a volunteer willing to take that on. We have had an offer from one non-profit to set up a basic concession stand for the convenience of those not wanting to pack a picnic lunch with their plants. Newbies are always encouraged to bring brownies or cookies (preferably with chocolate) to trade for plants.

We look forward to this being a fun filled "1st Annual" event. Bring the kids, pets, and even your non-gardening spouse:) Suz

Comments (11)

• breezyb
    19 years ago

I hate to sound ignorant, but while I have attended many many plant "sales", I have never been to a "swap".

Can you explain to me exactly how it works?

Thanks!

• alfie_md6
    19 years ago

Yay! A Virginia plant swap too! ("Rain date." "Rain date." Weenies :-).)

• Mandyvilla
    Original Author
    19 years ago

BreezyB,
    Posted a response for you on a different thread on the VA forum. Suz

Here is a link that might be useful: HOW A SWAP WORKS

• madcosta
    19 years ago

where will this plant swap be held? You mentioned Oatlands. thanks, I'll also check the Virginia forum.

• krgallo
    19 years ago

The swap is in Chantilly, near South Riding. Here are the details. Ask away, contact Sylvia (tel and email below), or me at if you have questions!

Date: Saturday, April 30, 2005 (severe rain date of Sun., May 1st)
    Time: 10 am to 2 pm
    Place: Ticonderoga Farms, Inc., 26175 Ticonderoga Road, Chantilly, VA 20152 (near South Riding) Â a wonderful location with room to spare, multiple parking lots, a pavilion, barn, lake, and picnic area with tables.
    Cost: FREE!
    Food: The Clean Earth Foundation will offer lunch and drinks for sale, with all proceeds to benefit the Foundation. Otherwise, bring a picnic lunch!

Plant Swap Information: This friendly and unique event combines a traditional plant swap with a plant sale at hugely discounted prices. Bring plants to swap or, if you are just getting started and have no plants to swap, bring anything related to gardening (books, pots, etc.); chocolate, cookies, or other dessert; or if nothing else, simply bring enthusiasm and an email address for future volunteerism where you can help and learn how to make your garden greener and cleaner! For the sale, incredible plants, including specimen and native plants, will be offered by Ticonderoga Farms as door prizes or at hugely discounted prices. All Ticonderoga Farms plant sale proceeds will go to the Clean Earth Foundation. For detailed plant swap information, please contact Ms. Setash at Ssetash@erols.com or at (703) 203-7020.

Also, the link below is to the Virginia forum message on posting "WANTS" for the April 30th swap.

Looking forward to this!

Here is a link that might be useful: N. VA Swap w/Twist - WANTED

• weddingdance
    19 years ago

I'm so excited to hear this! I'm moving to Jefferson, MD the first week of April, so I wasn't able to start any plants from seed. I'll be there with baked goods to exchange. Are dogs allowed?

Thanks,

• Brent_In_NoVA
    19 years ago

What kind of dog? If she is potty trained I think you might be able to swap her for some daylilies! ;-)

- Brent

• spanaval
    19 years ago

WD, I believe the information posted early said that dogs, kids, and even non-gardening spouses are welcome. Of course, all should be under control, and be well enough behaved to be okay in a crowd. It is less clear whether dogs are welcome at the MD swap.

Last time there was a plant sale at Blandy Farm (VA Arboretum), both dogs came with us. Pan, my Great Dane came with me to look at the plants, while my husband took Khan (GSD/Malamute mix) for a walk. While we were there, we saw plenty of other people with dogs, although I'm pretty sure that mine were among the largest.

I never miss a chance to show them off:

{{gwi:1046741}}

{{gwi:1046742}}

Suja

• Brent_In_NoVA
    19 years ago

There are dogs in those pictures? All I saw were some beautiful gardens!

- Brent

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Well behaved definitely - & not just in the eye of the owner - lol!!! I'm a dedicated dog-lover (have 4 - Husky, Treeing Walker Coonhound, Tennessee Plott Hound, Doberman), & although relatively well-behaved, I would never think about inflicting them on folks out to have a good time in a public place.

For one thing, there is nothing more disgusting than stepping in you-know-what or watching a dog - even on a leash - lifting it's leg on a plant display or someone's picnin basket while the owner was busy chatting. Have seen it & would prefer not to have to deal with it.

Another question I'd have is how can you really enjoy the day, pick up & look at plants, buy them &/or food items, & still deal with your dog?

Please - don't take this as anti-dog, even tho I know that's what it sounds like. I've just had some unpleasant experiences dealing with other people's dogs at plant sales & other public outings.

• spanaval
    19 years ago

Thank you, Brent. I did have to post something with flowers in it to keep this OT.

Breezyb, I understand where you're coming from. That's one of the reasons why Khan went on a walk, and Pan came with me. He is the one who is into marking, although generally he only marks shrubbery, and I can in fact tell him 'Not There'. Besides, he is most definitely not a people dog, so I don't foist a lot of people on him, although he has been in crowds and done just fine.

Except for the Ooh-ing and Aah-ing, having Pan with me is almost like not having a dog there. She is practically attached to me by the waist, leash or no-leash, and while she enjoys the attention she gets from people, is very focused on me. This is one dog who can be taken anywhere with me with full confidence that all she's going to do is amble around behind me. If I thought that my dogs would be a nuisance, they won't go out with me. I rarely receive anything but complements about their behavior, lots of them of the 'I wish I could get mine to act like that' ilk.

As for enjoying myself, she was tethered to me by a short leash, and basically stands there when I'm looking at stuff. Since I needed DH for the plants anyway, I just pick them out, and after making the rounds, the dogs get put away while we go back and buy/load the plants, and I went back to get some funnel cake for everyone. I will admit to being a bit disappointed by what was there. The two trees that I wanted, no one had.

This time around, if I come, my parents who are visiting from India will most likely come, and I'll drag DH in as well. If it is a nice day, the dogs will most likely come as well, although I'm guessing that DH and Khan will prefer to stay well away from the crowds, and will do their usual anti-social 'We're going for a walk'. Pan may come to the sale/swap area with me if no one has any objections, but if people would rather not deal with a big old dog (and some people are afraid, have allergies, etc.), I'll leave her behind. She has SA, mostly associated with me, so she won't be happy, but she'll live.

Suja

Sponsored