Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oogy4plants

Voles!...or Where are my crocuses (croci)?

oogy4plants
18 years ago

I seem to have encouraged a vole outbreak in my yard with all the leaf mulching and lasagne gardening and planting tasty veggies for them (they think).

So all my daffodils, tulips, and grape hyacinths are all popping up, but there is no sign of any crocuses.

Does anyone know if these are tasty for voles? I'm pretty sure they usually come up early and should be blooming soon if they are there. How about iris?

I feel slightly guilty about the poison pellets I put down their burrows, only because I fear that squirrels may have been able to dig them up. I haven't seen any squirrels lately, but there were several right after I put the pellets in the tunnels. Ooops.

The holes are in several areas of my lawn, in most of the garden beds, and in the adjacent wooded, leafy areas. The veggie garden has a fence, but it is only buried 4" deep- not enough to keep the voles out obviously. I raked out all the garden beds to remove any cover where they can hide and burrow. Hey, hawks, Dinner is served!

Is anyone else plagued with voles? What are voles favorite foods (besides strawberries, onions, carrots, and parsley roots)?

Let's talk about it.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus