Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voles!...or Where are my crocuses (croci)?

Posted by oogy4plants 6A MD (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 13:28

I seem to have encouraged a vole outbreak in my yard with all the leaf mulching and lasagne gardening and planting tasty veggies for them (they think).

So all my daffodils, tulips, and grape hyacinths are all popping up, but there is no sign of any crocuses.

Does anyone know if these are tasty for voles? I'm pretty sure they usually come up early and should be blooming soon if they are there. How about iris?

I feel slightly guilty about the poison pellets I put down their burrows, only because I fear that squirrels may have been able to dig them up. I haven't seen any squirrels lately, but there were several right after I put the pellets in the tunnels. Ooops.

The holes are in several areas of my lawn, in most of the garden beds, and in the adjacent wooded, leafy areas. The veggie garden has a fence, but it is only buried 4" deep- not enough to keep the voles out obviously. I raked out all the garden beds to remove any cover where they can hide and burrow. Hey, hawks, Dinner is served!

Is anyone else plagued with voles? What are voles favorite foods (besides strawberries, onions, carrots, and parsley roots)?

Let's talk about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voles!...or Where are my crocuses (croci)?

Cats....good hungry cats are the best vole control. Now if I could just convince mine not to bring the voles inside the house to presentto me pretty much uninjured.

My crocuses just started blooming this week.

KimKa

o

Lost a hardy banana to the darn voles a couple of winters ago when they decided to move into the lovely straw mulch vole condo I had built. They ate the entire corm, leaving just a hole in the clay. I got some revenge though - I found one drowned in the pond a bit later on.

o

Ack! I planted out some seedlings in my veggie garden last weekend and there is now a hole right there. Is there anything like hot pepper suace that might deter the voles and send them elsewhere?
Feral barn cats are available for 'adoption', but cats are not too selective and I don't want to feed them my birds.
I think I will try hot pepper sauce in the veggie garden and put out some more poison vole pellets in the holes around the garden.

o

A few crocuses have come up. I may have covered some of them with newspaper and mulch last year by mistake. I wanted to report that the voles like to eat the TOPS of the crocuses even before they bloom. I have noticed increased hawk activity around the vole buffet. I removed all the cover and dug up the vole burrows in my veggie garden and they seem to be retreating. I haven't yet put out the mice traps. Some of my gardens resemble the prairie dog town at the zoo.

o

Im having the same problem. But my cat has been helping. he left 3 on the front steps this morning. ugh. Glad to see them going but not what i want to see in the morning. They got my tulips

carey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here