Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rantpuppy

help me choose your favorite rose to plant in zone 6b maryland!

Rantpuppy
19 years ago

Hello everyone,

I need to replace five Double Delights in my main rose bed because the shrubs were so old and weak that none of em survived this winter. I want anyone reading this to recommend their favorite rose(s) to replace my DD's. The area is about 10' x 16' and is drenched in full sun all day long. There are two healthy Mister Lincolns already growing there, one at each end corner of the bed. The bed is backed by a 16' long and 9' high trellis supporting yellow English honeysuckle and Comtesse de Bouchard (pink) clematis vines. This is my basic criteria for the new rose:

- It should be a shrub rose (non-climbing) that will stay under 4-5' tall at max.

- The color can be anything but red and purple/lavender (i already have too many red roses, and i hate purple/lavender).

- The rose MUST be good for cutting, and strongly fragrant.

- I'm leaning towards floribundas and David Austin/English roses, but i'm open to Old Garden, Shrub, and Rugosa roses too.

The Double Delights were lovely but they were very weak growers and very prone to black spot. Any recommendations of YOUR BEST, FAVORITE ROSES would be appreciated!!!

Please respond!!

- Victor, aka Rantpuppy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz