Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsquopper

Establishing a climbing hydrangea

madsquopper
19 years ago

Has anyone planted a climbing hydrangea in the past few years? I'm just wondering what kind of growth rate I should expect. I went by a few of the local nurseries and have seen two sizes. One is in a gallon (maybe larger) pot with some nicely developed stems at least 3 feet tall. Merrifield had some significantly larger ones but those were pretty expensive.

Larry

Comments (20)

• cynthia_gw
    19 years ago

Yes, I had 4 going rather nicely on the foundation of the sunroom and then had the house painted. They were 3 years old and maybe 6 tall. I'd characterize the growth rate as average. I had one that was five years old and that had just started to really fill out on one side of the gh. If I were you, I'd wait to see them show up at HD or Lowes. You can probably get a large one off of the same truck that delivered to Merrifield :) but you'll pay half as much.

• Mandyvilla
    19 years ago

I have 2 at present. Like most anything else, with age they get better. One was purchased at Merrifield one at HD. Both are performing the same. Not a rapid grower in my experience, but nicely filling in. Both were fairly young plants in gallon containers about 2 feet tall. Now about 3 to 4 feet. First year in my garden, sporatic bloom - think they were just getting established. Next year had more blooms. Have found both like to send up suckers that can be propagated. BOTTOMLINE: requires patience. Suz

• Brent_In_NoVA
    19 years ago

FYI...The Lowes in Sterling has climbing Hydrangeas.

- Brent

• springcherry
    19 years ago

I have been told that they take a few years to really take off.

Springcherry

• marymd7
    19 years ago

I've found the old saying "first year sleeps, second year creeps, third year leaps" applicable to this marvelous plant.

• jeanleecole
    19 years ago

Speaking of climbing hydrangeas, I *think* I'm blessed with one in my new (to me) yard. I think it's some years old as well--the trunk at the base is about 3" in diameter and it has spread all along the top & sides of the back wall of the garden (which is probably about 6' tall, 12' wide. Yes, I have a really small yard). My question is, last year it got buds but did not bloom. One of the buds is still there-- about 6" across--but it never did anything. I fertilized a couple of weeks ago with ... oh geez, now I can't remember ... osmacote? I don't know. And spread cornmeal in the bed, and some compost as top dressing. Is there anything else I need to do to get it to bloom this year? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jean in Baltimore

• Mandyvilla
    19 years ago

Jean,
    Patience is all that is required. My friend had one that didn't bloom until it's 4th or 5th year in the ground, and even then, it was sparse. Hydrangeas of all types can be tempermental about blooming, just look at one wrong and you could be out of blooms for a season. (well, not really, but sometimes it's easier to wait it out than fret over why nothing is happening). I can remember two seasons my Nikos didn't bloom, one was from ignorant pruning :) and the other I can only guess was a hard freeze after buds had set. I give them all a healthy dose of compost in the spring and fall. Suz

• vladpup
    19 years ago

G'Day!
    - Are climbing hydrangeas good candidates for propogation from cuttings? If so, what are the chances of some wshowing up at the spring swap? (Oops! Since NOVA is getting better organized, and SE PA usually had a good swap as well, guess i'd best say, "one or more of the several spring swaps"!)

- i have been delighted at how the regular hydrangea cuttings i've recieved have rooted, have greaqt hopes for the oakleaf hydrangea cutting, and would be delighted to "branch out" (pardon the pun) with a climber!

- Happy gardening,
    -vlad

• HollyT
    19 years ago

I have had my climbing hydrangea for at least 15 years. Grows on the railing of the front deck, getting some afternoon sun. For the first 3-4 years it grew very slowly. But after about 5 years it became very vigorous, and almost requires a machete to keep it under control. Re blooming, it needs some sun to bloom well. But even sparse blooms and the wonderful leaves make a great plant.
    It propogates better from layering than from cuttings.

• jeanleecole
    19 years ago

Thanks, Mandyvilla--I'll just wait and see. I did apply compost & stuff to give it a boost, and it gets a lot of sun.

I honestly didn't mind it not blooming last year--the foliage is great. My neighbors tell me they have seen it bloom in years past--hope last year was just a fluke!

Jean

• oldroser
    19 years ago

Mine's been on the north wall of the house and two years ago had a few frost-bitten flowers. But the foliage is great. It crawls over the ground and roots and I've dug up these plants and given them away. It keeps making more. Of course, these are small plants and will take three years or so to become effective. It flowers well in sun but I wanted something for that north wall and it looks wonderful even without the flowers.

• river_2007
    17 years ago

I've had alot of luck climbing hydrangea. Its not a particularly fast grower but it is easy to grow. The tallest I've seen available for purchase is about 4'.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.GardenListings.com

• collectordi
    17 years ago

I have 2 climbing hydrangeas. One I think I got at Green Spring about 4 years ago and the other I got late last fall 1/2 price at Home Depot. It took the first one a few years to get going and the new one I just hope lives through this crazy weather. So anyway, Vlad I'll try rooting some of the wayward branches from my older one for you.

• bunyip
    17 years ago

I have one that is about 25 years old, and which covers two sides of my house. The trunk is about 8" in diameter, and the vine is beautiful. Although I could do without the flowers, because they make a whole lot of pollen and fuzz, and are really not terribly beautiful. The vine's beauty to me is in the exfoliating bark, the wonderful lime green buds in the spring, and the butter-yellow fall leaves. I keep the lower part of the trunk clean of branches, although sometimes I let some grow in order to layer them for cuttings. Like most hydrangeas, they layer easily and those layered cuttings do very well. It is a splendid plant, although it does get very large and opinionated -- I suspect it to be capable of bringing down the side of my house if I don't treat it right.

• cgpcgp
    17 years ago

I'm thinking about one of these on the north side of my house for an arbor over a gate in my picket fence. Area is shaded by a Pretty large japanese maple. Will a climbing hydrangea do well/flower in 50-70% shade?

• canyoncreekgardener
    16 years ago

To sun or not to sun is my question! I bought 4 climbing Hydrangeas from a nursery that indicated they needed to be planted in a densely shaded area. I had plans for these on the north side of my stucco covered home. Now I'm seeing references from a variety of nurseries that suggest these plant need full sun/part shade areas! My eastside will work too but I need to know ASAP as I have plants waiting for a new home quickly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• kikidvm
    16 years ago

I have a similar question (sun or no sun). I have a new house that has a climbing hydrangea planted in a spot that gets absolutely no sun. Last year ( my first year at this house) it didn't bud/flower or grow at all. It is currently about 4 feet tall. I read these can look nice growing up large tree trunks. I have a large (200ft) oak tree in my back yard and I was considering moving it there - where it would get partial sun. Would that be a good idea? Would it need support to grow up the tree? Would it damage the tree? Is moving a 4 ft plant ok? Or should I leave it where it is currently, with no sun. I know the flowers aren't that great, but it would be nice to see a few.

• skiwithchar
    16 years ago

Our house came with these when we moved in almost 3 years ago, and they are planted against back of the house and under the 2nd floor deck - so that's facing west. They get almost no sun at all, and we don't water them whatsoever (they get whatever Northeastern Ohio rain gets to them), and they are extremely healthy! Beautiful leaves, lots of blooms, and lots of offshoots, everything climbing up the wall and down again, plus out away from the wall and toward the yard! Seriously, they're everywhere, but I love them!

After reading the other posts, I may try pruning them to clean up their appearance just a bit and get more blooms - can anyone tell me when and how to do the pruning?

• pickles2008
    15 years ago

I have had a hydrangia for 10 years now. It's gets at least 4 to 5 hours of sunlight and is very healthy. I have at against my wooden fence. I have never seen a bloom on it. Can someone help me? I dont prune it at all.

• gardengranma
    15 years ago

Watch for the japanese beetles. They love them.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County