Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsquopper

Spring Swap 2014 planning?

madsquopper
10 years ago

Gardengranma posted over on the exchange board that she's happy to host again and will read this thread to see what we decide. So I posted a new thread here for discussion. I can start a surveymonkey poll if we want to use that. Personally I'd vote for the traditional May 10, with a secondary date of May 17.

Larry

Comments (30)

• kimka
    10 years ago

Unless Spring springs soon, I would think later would be better to give plants time to grow a little bit more. So May 17?

KimKa

• nancymd2
    10 years ago

Updated to remove survey link-- use survey below.

This post was edited by nancymd on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 13:33

• madsquopper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy,

Yours seems to be acting a bit weird. Anyway, I had updated the one I did last year; it has a few more options, so people can try using this.

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Swap survey - updated.

• springplanter
    10 years ago

Thanks for getting this started. Will be looking forward to it, although the delay in starting anything is impressive this year

Carol

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

Where is the swap held?

• gardengranma
    9 years ago

Burtonsville, md 20866, 15716 Allnutt lane- nice garden, if it rains indoor, we have done this for years and nobody has ever complained, at least not to me.

• madsquopper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Only 11 people have answered the survey so far (see link a few posts above). So far Saturday the 10th has a slight lead over both Sat/Sun of the following weekend. These 3 days have a big lead over any of the other dates.

Larry

• Ann
    9 years ago

Thanks Larry! Hard to imagine when plants are going to be emerging with this strange winter, but whatever date I will do my best to join in the fun.

• kimka
    9 years ago

My comment on today's weather

• nwwoman
    9 years ago

Kimka, that picture darn near send coffee all over my monitor! The flurries are still falling here in central Maryland and I am soooo tired of snow!

• kimka
    9 years ago

I wish I could lay claim to the Photoshop work on that one, but its not mine. I almost did a spit take too when I first saw it .

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    9 years ago

I hope a definitive position on which day the swap is held is coming out forthwith. I'm holding off coordinating dates for other competing activities until this is nailed down. Otherwise what would I do with all the tomatoes,peppers and eggplants I start for this event each year???

• annebert
    9 years ago

If the 10th is ahead at this point, I say we go with it so the early adopters can plan. I voted for the 17th, so I don't have a dog in this fight - I'm fine with the10th.

• gardnwatch
    9 years ago

I'm fine with the 10th as well...
    Bonnie

• uaskigyrl
    9 years ago

I all, I just saw this thread. I'm interested in a seed swap. It sounds like you guys are possibly going with the 10th? I'm down for the 10th if that is so.

• madsquopper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll email Henrietta (unless she sees this and responds) and ask if she has any preference between any of first 3 Saturdays in May. 19 people so far have responded to the survey and Saturdays in general are better than Sundays. The latter 2 Saturdays are fairly equal and marginally better than the earliest. In terms of big plant sales the only one I know about is Green Spring on May 17. So for now based on the survey and some above comments it looks like we're leaning toward the 10th with the 17th as backup.

Larry

• nancymd2
    9 years ago

Bump

• busyasabee
    9 years ago

I vote for our traditional Sat, May 10th.

thanks
    Jette

• busyasabee
    9 years ago

Bump

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    9 years ago

Where the heck is everybody?! It's only a month away if on the 10th May! Shouldn't the Have/Wants lists be booming by now? Are Gardenwebberites jaded? Seems like the MidAtl forum barely put out 3.5 pages since the last Swap in 2013 so how are people finding out about it if they aren't here?

• uaskigyrl
    9 years ago

because it's still cooooooollllllldddddddd...

Actually this weekend I'm cleaning up the backyard to get everything ready!

• cecilia_md7a
    9 years ago

I vote for May 10 ...

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I'll bow to the majority as long as I have 2 weeks to request the day off. :)

I'll keep checking.

Isn't it funny that's it's us old timers who are still getting together?

Looking forward to it!

• gardengranma
    9 years ago

Yes may 10th- and tonight we have more frost- my yellow magnolia -yes there is such a thing- is now brown from yesterday's frostð« I am totally sick of this. Thank you Carol for coming over and checking us out- we are alive and well. So let's plan and-we will be ready.

• gardnwatch
    9 years ago

I am so glad to hear from you Henrietta, and will welcome coming to your lovely home again for this years' plant swap. Can't wait!!
    Bonnie

• chrismd
    9 years ago

so HAPPY to see that the swap is on! Either day is fine for me. - Chris

• oogy4plants
    9 years ago

Hi everyone! MAG is emerging late this year it looks like. i just stopped by to check on the date of the swap. I'm not sure I can make it due to my daughters birthday party. I'll see if I can schedule the party for Sunday instead so I can come. Let me know if anyone wants a patch of golden ragwort for a shady or partly shady spot.

• springplanter
    9 years ago

i keep checking to see if anyone has posted the lists but can't find them so I finally located last years and am copying. Will be up later this evening We are a scarce 2 weeks away so I hope this gets us going!

happy gardening!
    Carol

• springplanter
    9 years ago

sorry just found the lists on the exchanges part so disregard the previous

See you there

Carol

• McNovia
    9 years ago

Hi all

I am new to the area so I would have nothing to swap but I would love to get advice about planting in this area!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?