Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akebono_gw

Maryland Home and So-Called Garden Show?

akebono
17 years ago

I swore last year would be my last. It seems little more than a home improvement trade show the past few years. Did anyone attend the show's opening last weekend? Is the garden part of the show's name still a misnomer? I'll be checking out the orchid show in the Horticultural Hall, but wondered if the Cow Palace was even worth the bother.

Personally, I don't think about chamois cloth and superbrooms when I think spring. How about ya'll? Thanks for any input.

Comments (5)

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

I volunteered at a couple of Hort booths last year just for fun. At least I didn't have to pay to get in. There are some interesting garden vendors, but no I wouldn't call it a garden show either. I picked up some good house plants from the vendor that supplies some of the plants in the giftshop at Longwood. And I bought some really decent fudge.

• watergal
    17 years ago

At least they don't try to call it the Maryland Garden & Home Show! I go most years, planning to go this afternoon. I try to focus on the display gardens and the garden vendors, and just do a quick run through the other part of the building where the home stuff is (but sometimes they sneak some into the garden part). I go during those years I need a "garden fix"; I've learned to keep my expectations low so that I'm not too disappointed. The admission price has also gotten OUTRAGEOUS.

• christy2828
    17 years ago

The DC Home and Garden show is this weekend, March 8th - 11th. I really liked that one last year, am planning on going this weekend. I went to the Maryland one last year, and do not plan on going back. It's 10 bucks for adults to get into the DC H & G show, but they could have coupons. I'm looking for some now. Metro drops you off underneath the convention center. Christy

• christy2828
    17 years ago

Just found those coupons. At their website $2.00 off, valid only on Thursday and Friday.

The price for children under 5 is free, only with a paying adult. I guess there's a big problem with parents dropping off their under 5 year olds and leaving...LOL

Christy :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Washington Home & Garden Show

• watergal
    17 years ago

Well, harrumph! The Maryland show has even fewer plant and plant accessory vendors than I remembered. The ones there were great, but lots more home care gadgets in the room that used to be mostly plant stuff. The display gardens were impressive, though, and there were still a lot of them to see.

The orchid show was great. And it seems odd that all of the public gardens/garden clubs/educational/environmental booths were in the orchid show, where most people probably never go. They would get much better exposure in the main building. I guess chamois cloth vendors can pay more for a booth than a nonprofit can. (And I'm not knocking chamois cloth - I buy it in bulk to mop up drips when I'm watering plants in people's offices and it works great!)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm