Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost dates info request and seed starting

Posted by sujiwan 6-7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 16:30

Hey out there!

I'm getting the urge to gear up the grow light system.

Someone please help me with our frost dates for Maryland-I'm in Westminster, zone 6. Not warmer Baltimore which is what the usual online sources give... Someone close to me with some probable dates?

OK--tomato and pepper seed starting. Last year, I was too early. Do we count back from Mother's Day by 8 weeks for tomato seed starting? And 10 for peppers?

Does anyone start broccoli and other cruciferous veg right now under lights to put in the ground very early spring?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost dates info request and seed starting

Hi, sujiwan - Victory Seeds has a listing of frost dates for other cities in MD - perhaps Hagerstown's dates would be appropriate for you (they're Zone 6, too).

Here is a link that might be useful: Victory Seeds frost date listing

o

Greetings from Westminster! I live near McDaniel College. I have seen published last frost dates anywhere between April 15 and May 15. I tend to be pretty conservative on my planting out dates, so I go with May 15. I figure if I put all that work into the seedlings, I'm sure not going to let them freeze to death!

Based on watching the blooming plants in Baltimore City, I'd say we are a good 2 to 3 weeks behind the downtown business district.

o

On weather.com, put in your zip code, then select "Month" and move forward to April. It will tell you the historical averages, mins, and maxes, for the dates not within a 20-day present spread.

On April 1, you can move to historicals for May.

This is as good or better for me that official frost dates, because I can decide how risky I want to be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here