Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clearing garden bed for new plants...help!

Posted by donnas Z7 VA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 08 at 16:58

I have a large flower bed where several years ago I planted snapdragons and gladioli bulbs. The snapdragons drop their seeds like crazy and it seems like I'm never going to get rid of all of the new ones that pop up every year. Same for the gladioli bulbs. I've tried to remove all of the large bulbs, but I can't get rid of those small bulbs that seem to multiply every year. I want to do something different with this flower bed. I want something more permanent like some type of shrubs or conifers that will also be pretty much maintainance free, but I know that snapdragons and gladiolis are going to pop up everywhere after I've planted whatever I've chosen. What should I do, line the flower bed with layers of newspaper first or something like that? Will that take care of these little shoots for good? What I want is a "clean" flowerbed to start with this spring. Please give me some advice. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clearing garden bed for new plants...help!

I might try some form of "lasagna bed..." I think newspaper would work, but cardboard might be even better AND quicker to install under mulch. You might ask you local home improvement/box store if they have any spare appliance boxes. They'll resist bulblets better and you can just punch holes through where you want your shrubs. Eventually they'll decay - do a lasagna search as I'm no expert! ;-)
Good luck and happy spring!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here