Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfillio

Suggestions for New Plant in Lieu of Dead Rhododendron

cfillio
17 years ago

I'm afraid the rhododendron we planted in 2001 in the front (southeast) corner of the house is gone; the harsh winter in 2004-05 seems to have done it in, and it didn't come back in summer 2005 or 2006, though I donÂt know if that was even possible. The area receives only partial sun, and I think it may have gotten too much wind and snow (it's on the front corner of the house). In the same bed as this former rhodo we have otto luyken laurels, blue maid hollies and pink carpet rose.

Any recommendations for a hardy replacement for that spot? The location is one of the "anchors" of our landscaping. On the two other visible corners we have a wonderful set of roses and a blue hydrangea.

The vacant area is an ellipse approximately 5Â at one radius and 7Â at the other radius, for a total of about 28 ft. sq. in available area:

http://www.fillio.com/photo/showimg.php?file=/Da%20House/Landscaping/june2006_2.JPG

I don't think we'd be averse to a bush/flower which is mostly green, but since the house sits shotgun (i.e., short side facing the street) this is the view that establishes its curb appeal. So maybe something with a bit of color would be nice.

Comment (1)

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

What kind of Rhododendron? Most are very hardy and almost impossible to kill with cold. Good to -20 or -35. Your Laurels are only good to about 0 or -10 if not prolonged. You might want to consider the drainage in that area before planting something else.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?