Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy sand?

Posted by laschlee 7a MD (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 17:59

Hi,

Can anybody tell me where I can buy sand to add to soil? I live in Montgomery County, MD. I have seen the sand I want called, variously, sharp, silica, or mason's sand. All I could find at Home Depot was playground sand, and when I asked a staffer at a plant store if they carried sand to add to clay soil, she just gave me a strange, bewildered look. I have a site that gets a brutally large amount of sun and is mostly sheltered from rain, but all the drought-tolerant plants I want to put in there (herbs, etc.) need good drainage. I know I'm probably going to need to add a lot of sand, but it's a very small patch of ground.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy sand?

It's a myth that adding sand to soil will make it looser. More likely, it will make it hard as a rock.

I googled "adding sand to soil" and got some good sites with information that you need. Here is one:

www.humgardens.com/contents/soils/fixsoil.htm -

o

If you decide you really want sand, then what you want can be found at LuckStone in Clarksville or probably at a builders supply or other stone yard closer to you. It is sold by the ton (or half-ton maybe) which is not as much as it sounds like, depending on how large an area you are trying to amend.

Clay soil in one of my gardens had a miraculous tranformation after I added about 10 bags of LeafGro to it. It was so loose and fluffy, I could put my whole hand into it very easily. I only did it once a few years ago. I would recommend that instead of adding sand in this area. Probably much more effective than adding sand.

Good luck!
Susan

o

I have the opposite problem, I need playsand. But alot of it for a sand pit i am building for the kids.

Most places that sell mulch by the truckload will also have masonry sand. You can also check building supply companies.

Carey

o

I second the LeafGro. LeafGro has wonderful benefits, it not only loosens the soil but adds nutrients. Good stuff. You can get it by the truckload as well. It's basically composted leaves.

o

I decided to stuff some leafgro in there instead and see what happens. Nutrients are only of limited use to me since I want to grow herbs in that particular sunny spot, but I can personally vouch for the fluffy/loosening quality of LeafGro now since I accidentally stepped in the amended spot and sank in past my ankles. Whoops!

o

Where do you buy Leafgro?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here