Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips blooming close to ground

Posted by lvmygrdn z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 28, 06 at 18:46

This has not happened before. They were planted in the fall. They are the correct depth and were planted at the correct time. The soil is amended. Do you thinks it's because of the dry March we have had or the warm temps? It seems a bit early for them to blooming.
Ree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips blooming close to ground

Are you saying they're shorter than normal? The usual reason for short daffs or tulips is that they were planted too late in the year for them to have a suitable vernalization period.

o

That makes sense however I planted them as soon as I received them from Van Engelen which I believe was the second week of October. I plant hundreds of tulips every year. This is the first year this has happened. It only seems to be a few varieties. The later blooming tulips seem to be okay so far.

o

I'm having the same problem. I don't have a lot of experience with planting tulips, so I thought maybe I had just chosen short varieties or something.

o

I know that tulips produced as cut flowers will be too short if not kept on the cool side, so my guess is the warm temps.

o

I know that tulips produced as cut flowers will be too short if not kept on the cool side, so my guess is the warm temps. And the drought probably doesn't help.

o

Hello--
Mine too, however I never planted much of anything, so I thought it was me. My Muscar's are like 3 inches too.
Because I never planted I tried to make sure I planted them @ the right depth. Glad to know it's not only mine :-)

o

The same thing happend here. Mine were planted late and we had an exceptionally mild winter so it's not too surprising but they really do look weird.

o

I contacted Van Engelen and the gentleman I spoke to said it was either poor root development or more than likely because of the warm weather and lack of rain. It looks like only my double tulips are shorter than they should be. The others are where they should be. I think watering, the recent rain and the cooler temps have helped.

o

I had the same prob with short tulips this year. However, they seemed to grow to normal height afterwhile. I thought I may have planted too deep or lack of fertilizer, but the garden looks great now. Just had a SHORT start. = )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here