Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

Seeking MD/DE source of Rex Begonias

beth_b_kodiak
19 years ago

In Alaska I was able to get some nice Rex begonias at Home Depot. Assuming that meant they were readily available... I gave them away rather than moving them.

Assuming is always risky and now I can not find any. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments (17)

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

Behnke Nurseries in Beltsville usually has at least a few Rexes available - sometimes more. If you're up near the DE line, that would be a hike for you, though.

Have you thought about mail order?

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Celia, I'm going to Baltimore on Monday so I think i'll zig down to Bhenkes.. Have not been there in 25 or 30 years. Wonder if it's changed a lot.
    Then I guess i'll finish up by mailorder. I love selecting the plants myself if that option is available but I'll do what I need to do to get some nice plants.
    I appreciate the suggestions.
    Beth

• scarzi
    19 years ago

There is a greenhouse near you near the Delaware line that grows rex begonias. I bought a few from the guy this summer at the fallsway farmer's market in Baltimore. I'm sorry i don't have more information, but if you check with the growers in Cecil county maybe you can find him.

• cynthia_gw
    19 years ago

I was in Lowe's tonight and they had some gorgeous Rex begonias. I usually notice them later in the season at HD. Perhaps they brought them in as Easter plants. Nice selection.

• lynnt
    19 years ago

Homestead Gardens out on Central Ave had lovely rexes last year, though they were far from cheap.

Lynn

• comettose
    19 years ago

Lynn,

I also saw those begonias at Homestead Gardens. Very nice.

Here is a link for a seller of Rex Begonias (in case you want to reconsider and buy on-line). Good luck.

CT

Here is a link that might be useful: Rex Begonia Source

• wardw
    19 years ago

They usually have several in the shop at Longwood Gardens; in fact my favorite, Tiger Kitten (an eyelash I think) came from there.

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

Oh yes, I remember seeing Tiger Kitten (and others) in the Longwood greenhouses when I visited them this winter!

• pennyonwings
    17 years ago

I ordered mine online @ plantsforkids.com. They have a great selection and fast and careful shipping. The 4 plants arrived in good condition.

• annebert
    17 years ago

Dutch Plant Farm in Frederick usually has an assortment, and sometimes they sell them in 3" or 4" pots pretty cheap.(which means $5 or so)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, this got resurected from the back closet.
    I have gotten some from Homestead and a few from Dennis Gardens in VA.
    Last fall my friend in Catonsville took me to a great place in Baltimore where I managed to buy a few more.I also ordered from glasshouseworks, I think in Ohio.
    Since I find them hard to resist.... I'm checking out plants for kids too.
    thanks everybody

• graywings123
    17 years ago

My guess would be that poster pennyonwing, who just joined gardenweb, is associated with the website he/she is recommending.

• pennyonwings
    17 years ago

Why would you say that!? I was searching online for these plants since I can't find them anywhere around here (small town, TX). This website was the only one I found that actually had them in stock. Wow, I was just browsing this website for info on growing them and ran across this post. By the way, I have a question posted if anyone cares to help me out. Thanks....
    Penny

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Plants for kids does have the whole collection of Great American Cities AND the beach cities and Constelations too.
    About what size were the plants they shipped? I don't see size mentioned in their ad. The ones I got from Glass house were quite small.
    I don't have room for any more right now but maybe soon. There are a couple more in the series that I really want.
    Penny, where is your question posted?

• pennyonwings
    17 years ago

They came in pots that were about 3 inches. The plants were nice size for such small pots and they all looked really healthy. They package them well, so that they stay in tact....unless the postal workers turn them upside down, then you might get a little leaf damage. But I've ordered plants online before that were not as nicely shipped as these. Thanks for answering my ? I guess i should move my plants to a better lit room. I think I read yesterday for the 1st week or 2 to keep them in a darker spot....now I can't remember why. Too much info stuffed into my brain at once. thanks again!
    Penny

• mimicubed
    15 years ago

Here's a link to the Violet Barn located in New York. I have ordered both violets and begonias. They specialize in the small houseplant variety of begonias. Just look at the pictures; they're spectacular. I always get an order together with friends to split the cost of S&H -- up to 20 plants for $12. In fact, we will be placing an order soon. http://www.violetbarn.com/begonias.htm

• marybright
    11 years ago

2012 update: Pepper's Greenhouses: they're great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppers in Milton, Delaware

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations