Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdpicci

Garden Around Stop Sign?

MDPicci
11 years ago

I would like to put a new garden bed this season in our front yard. Right smack dab in the middle of my dream bed is a stop sign. Is there any reason I can't just plant it around the stop sign? I wouldn't have any climbing vines or anything that would block it (although it is a bit tempting...)

Does anyone know if this is a problem? I tried looking up state and county law (live in Maryland), but all I could find was something saying the county might prune trees that block the sign.

Comments (6)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

In Virginia, the strip between the sidewalk and street belongs to the city or county. Some people here in northern VA do plant that area, but if there is a complaint or if the city sees it and wants to make a big deal of it, the plants can be removed without notifying you first. I know that we can ask permission to plant the strip and I have put in a few things around a sign post in our strip with no problems. As long as you aren't making a huge investment, I might take a chance...unless you live in Montgomery Co. which is notorious for requiring permits and often turning down such requests when you do file for a permit. :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Since there is no sidewalk, I say go for it! I think it is only that he** strip that counties claim as theirs. Chances are no one will complain and I bet no one would really care once they see how pretty it is. I do know that here in Alexandria, they say to get permission for that strip, but I think I am just going to take my chances and keep expanding that little area around a sign that I have planted.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

All roads have an "easement". In PG country, it's 30' on either side of the center of the road.

That said, I"ve planted across the road from my house and the county hasn't plowed it because at least in my area, they encourage "improvement". By "improvement" in my case, I plant anything I decide I don't want in my gardens.

I have learned one thing: People busy looking at your gardens will have a tendency to drift towards that at which they're looking. I.e. the signs. Be prepared for swerve marks in your gardens.

• chrismd
    11 years ago

I would go ahead and do it, then apply for a "Keep Montgomery Beautiful" award. Just don't block the sign with tall plants or shrubs.

• Roses In Clay
    2 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing... and I live in a HOA which adds to that layer. Not a stop sign, but a sign that reads "No parking, fire zone" but they have one every 20 feet on this side of the street, so there is no mystery to what it says. I have to weedwhack around it constantly which is a pain and it would be the perfect vine support.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County