Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jomama49

Catalog sales good way to go?

jomama49
17 years ago

Hi All,

I am fairly new to gardening, have been slowly getting hooked over the last few seasons. Now I can hardly wait for the weather to clear so I can get good and dirty in the yard. I would like opinions about ordering perennials from catalogs. Right now I'm thinking about lavender, echinacea and maybe shasta daisy. Any favorite catalog vendors or vendors to avoid? Or is it better to buy from local bricks n mortar businesses?

Thanks,

Jo

Comments (6)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

I do the vast majority of my plant buying online. Mostly because I get better variety and good prices that way. Bluestone perennials is a very good resource. They have excellent service, coupons and money back guarantees. I've had excellent luck with Green Mountain Transplants. Very healthy plants, *excellent* prices. But, customer service can be spotty.

Most of what you're looking for doesn't sound too exotic, so if you have good local resources, you may want to price them first. If you can come to the Spring swap (assuming you live in driving distance), you can get some good plants for free. For example, I can definitely bring some Shasta Daisy Becky. Also, be careful with the lavender; most do not tolerate our soil conditions.

Before you buy from *any* online vendor, check them out on the Garden Watchdog. I've given the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watchdog

• watergal
    17 years ago

For plants such as the ones you mention that aren't rare, I go for the local nursery every time. You will get a larger plant for the same or lower price, plus you don't have to pay shipping and risk damage or erratic temperatures in the mail. I only go the catalog route for rare things I lust after that I doubt I'll find locally. And even a lot of the rare things show up locally a few years later if I can be patient enough!

• jomama49
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for your input! I will take it to heart and go from there. I am hoping to attend the swap meet, however, it occurs on a day that my high school son has a crew regatta and I'm not sure I can fit both events into the same day...
    Jo

• krgallo
    17 years ago

I have used Graceful Gardens (www.gracefulgardens.com) and they are incredible. you have to order by the tray, but can mix and match within a tray. Plants are incredibly healthy and a good size, and a great price -- as low as $1.42 per plant (perennials!). They don't have a huge selection, but what the have are really nice.

Only disadvantage -- they don't guarantee their plants. At these prices, thoough, worth the risk.

I ordered 96 plants (3 trays with 8 packs of 4 plants in each tray) 2 years ago and was very happy.

That said, I agree that with the more common plants, and if you are looking for just a few, try K-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot. I have luck there as well. Just examine the plants closely.

-kathy

• christy2828
    17 years ago

There are some very nice nurseries in this area as well. Three of my favorites, and conveniently close are Fehr Nursery, Behnke Nursery, and Meadows Farms. All around the Laurel Area :) Christy

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

Just to throw out another option... echinacea and shasta daisy (and lots of other great perennials) are easy to grow from seed. You would be surprised exactly how fast you can get "1 gallon" sized plants from seed.

And yet another option...I was in Costco on Sunday and I noticed that they had bags of bare-root perennials and bulbs that contained a mix of three different plants. They had a couple varieties for shade and sun. I know that echinacea was included in one of the mixes. It is a little more work but you get 10+ plants for under $15.

Between growing from seed and plant swaps, I find that I hardly ever purchase perennials these days.

- Brent