Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antiqueorchid

gardengranma's location

antiqueorchid
15 years ago

I am new to GW and I am interested in the spring MAG swap. Where is this swap located. I am near the area and definitely want to go. How can I get more info on this swap?

Thanks,

Denise

Comments (5)

• collectordi
    15 years ago

The swap is in Burtonsville, MD. 15716 Allnutt Lane, next to the last house on left.
    From Rt. 95 towards or from Baltimore - Take exit to Burtonsville, Rt. 198 - go through Burtonsville (cross Rt. 29) continue on Rt. 198 past cemetary. Turn right on Allnutt Lane. Last house on left, brick rambler.
    From Beltway (495), take Colesville Rd. (Rt. 29) towards Columbia, take exit to Burtonsville (new interchange!) Turn left on Rt. 198, across 29, past cemetary, turn right on Allnutt, etc.

From Rockville: Take Norbeck Rd which becomes Rt. 198 after New Hampshire. Past church and tree farm, turn left on Allnutt, etc.

• kimka
    15 years ago

This is a very informal swap. "Wants" and "Haves" lists have been posted already on the Exchanges page. You post what you have there and what you are looking for if you are organized enough to do so. People email each other and you arrange between yourselves for a "pre-arranged trade."

Otherwise bring plants, garden magazines, garden tools, pots, etc., to the swap, which usually kicks off about 10 a.m.. Please mark all of your plants with what they are. Prearranged trades get marked with the person's name. Plants do not have to be potted. If you don't have time to pot, just shovel the plant and enough moist soil so they don't dry out into plastic bags. Try not to bring any diseased plants to the swap.

People just walk around, collect their prearranged trades, gossip, pick up "available plants" and other stuff, gossip, repeat. Then we eat the potluck.

We do not expect direct one-for-one trades at the swap. Bring what you have, give it to people who want them, get other plants. If you are a newbie and have no plants to share, bring chocolate --I mean food for the potluck.

Our few rules are:

1) If you are a newbie, don't be greedy and grab all of the available plants. Do expect to pass the tradition along as your garden grows.

2) Pre-arranged trades are sacred; don't take plants labelled for other people. Because we had a few problems in the past when people either didn't know our rules or didn't care, many of us now put pre-arranged trades in paper bags and staple them shut with the recipient's name on the outside.

3) Bring a label for your car with your gardenweb handle, so people can find you to pick up and deliver prearranged trades.

4) After the potluck, if you look at a leftover plant, you have to take one. If you ask about it, you have to take two of them.

5) Have lots of fun.

• antiqueorchid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info.
    -Denise

• ginabean
    15 years ago

As another newbie (with no established plants to divide or otherwise propagate) interested in coming, I have noticed some people's want lists include, for example, a veggie seed I happen to have some of.

What's the policy on bringing seeds?

Thanks, looking forward to seeing you all 5/9!
    Regina

• busyasabee
    15 years ago

Hi Regina,

We are glad you will be joining us.
    As Kim mentioned in her prior post, this is very informal.
    ...."bring plants, garden magazines, garden tools, pots, etc., to the swap."
    You are welcome to bring your seeds. Add it to "Haves" list that we started on the Exchanges page.

see you May 9th, it will be fun!

Jette

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting