Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink flowering Magnolia trees in DC

Posted by christy2828 7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 22:28

Need some help please :) When I moved here about 3 years ago, we went to the tidal basin to see the Cherry Trees. I'd never seen a Cherry tree and they were not in bloom yet. So we walked from the tidal basin into the city, not far. We found an area with two lines of Pink flowering Magnolia trees. It had concrete benches, and several people sketching the flowers. It was lovely, and I've never forgotten it, but have no idea where it is located. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Sorry I don't have a picture, I do remember lots of bees. Christy :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink flowering Magnolia trees in DC

The tree you're referring to is probably Magnolia soulangeana, a very common hybrid (and not one of my personal favorites!). It's hard to say where you saw them because they are planted all over the city.

o

There are some gorgeous ones at Arlington Cemetery, right by the Kennedy graves. These pics are from early April 2005.

Lynne

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Thank you!! I think they are beautiful and smell wonderful. The place I went to was lined with them, and then lots of concrete. Within walking distance of the Washington monument, and I was 6 months pregnant, so that isn't far!!! I think there might have been fountains as well, but they weren't on. I'll have to check out Arlington, those are fantastic pictures!! Christy :)

o

I think you may mean the park off 19th St. NW. It's located between the General Services Administration HQ and Department of Interior, not too far from the mall. Try "1900 F St. NW" on google maps for location. I've walked thru there when they are blooming and it is lovely. We have a 30+ year old one in the front yard, and when it's nice it's very very nice. When a late frost hits those buds, or worse, the open flowers, it is horrible. Interestingly, the year following a bad one, the number of buds is much heavier than usual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Maps

o

That's it, Lisa!!!! It was on E Street between 18th and 19th street. The blossoms aren't quite ready, yet, but here are some pics :) Thanks so much, Lisa!!! Christy :)
Photobucket
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here