Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vladpup

OK to hill forsythia?

vladpup
19 years ago

G'Day!

- Thanks to last year's MAG swaps [see MAG exchange page for details on this year's Sprign MAG swap!], i have a half dozen little forsythia plants leafing out. i know forsythia is a "cheap and taudry" plant, but anything that blooms this early is welcome around here! (Oh, i must have been thinking that too loudly; that would explain why all the WEEDS are blooming!)

- Now i realize that one bed, in which three of the forsythia were planted, needs to be raised a foot. i was thinking, since forsythia cuttings root so readily, would it be OK to just hill up the soil around the plants, burying their bases? Would they just make roots from the buried part and continue growing? Or had i best dig 'em up, heel 'em in, re-build the bed, and then re-plant 'em?

- And, How big do forsythia need to be before i can start propogating 'em? i'm looking northwards across the pasture at the south side of a 300-foot long hedgerow and thinking, There's a place that could use a whole passel of bright, showy plants!

- i like that they're the same yellow as some of my daffidillies; i must plant more daffies around the feet of the forsythia.

- Happy gardening,

-vlad

Comment (1)